Three suspected 'Geng Captain Praba' members held in Mumbai, facing extradition to M'sia


KUALA LUMPUR: Three Malaysians detained at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport in Mumbai, India, after being deported from the United Kingdom are believed to be members of a criminal gang known as "Geng Captain Praba".

The suspects, all in their 30s, were detained on Sunday (Jan 25) after their identities were flagged under Interpol Red Notices.

A source said the trio, linked to a series of high-profile crimes including murder and arson, particularly around Klang and Banting, are currently under the highest level of security at Mumbai airport.

ALSO READ: Nationwide ops sees 17 gang members nabbed, two organised crime groups crippled, says IGP

“After being served a ‘Not to Land’ (NTL) notice in Manchester, England, the suspects were ordered to return to Mumbai, their point of departure.

"They were detained by airport authorities upon arrival and were not allowed to enter India or pass Immigration control," the source added.

Following the trio's detention, a team of officers from the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) flew to Mumbai on Sunday and is said to be in the process of arranging the suspects’ extradition back here.

"At present, the police are coordinating with the relevant authorities to facilitate their return.

"If there are no obstacles, and following discussions between Malaysian and Indian authorities, the suspects are expected to be brought back in the near future," the source said.

Previously, Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail had said 17 gang members were nabbed in a massive operation codenamed "Ops Jack Sparrow" in September last year.

ALSO READ: ‘Geng Captain Praba’ members face organised crime charges

The suspects were nabbed in a massive operation conducted by the Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (CID) in Selangor, Negri Sembilan, Penang and Perak on Sept 11.

It is learnt that the gang referred to their leader as Captain Praba.

The suspects, aged 19 to 44, were believed to be involved in various violent crimes, including murder, assault with deadly weapons, gang robbery and arson.

The gang is believed to have been active since 2023 and has 33 members in total.

Action against the gang stems from an incident where a man in Taman Sentosa, Klang, was attacked by a group armed with firearms and a machete earlier last year.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Defence preparedness not just about military capability, says Khaled
MCA questions RM3.06mil allocation to former Negri reps
Father, two daughters killed in Immigration lorry crash identified
Teasing believed to be behind Shah Alam school assault, say Selangor top cop
MACC closes Xavier Jayakumar case due to insufficient evidence to charge
Fatal crash sparks calls for stricter rules on enforcement vehicles
China company eyes working with Sabah GLCs to develop biomass energy
Personal grudge believed to be motive behind woman being doused with petrol, set alight, say cops
Death of Rocky: Selangor top cop advises against gathering ahead of man’s court charges tomorrow
Victims were in ‘safe’ area when hit by Immigration truck, say cops

Others Also Read