SHAH ALAM: There is no need for a gathering at tomorrow’s court appearance of the man linked to the death of the dog Rocky, as the legal process is under way, says Selangor’s top cop.
When asked on the possibility of a gathering being held tomorrow at the courthouse, Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Shazeli Kahar said that the legal process has taken place with a full investigation conducted.
“Regarding the possibility of a gathering, I advise that there is no need to escalate this issue to the extent of organising any gathering or demonstration. From a legal perspective, the investigation has been conducted and we have identified the parties responsible.
“As members of the public have placed their trust in law enforcement agencies, particularly the police to conduct investigations, it has carried out its duties to ensure a fair investigation. The outcome of the investigation has now led to instructions for charges to be brought tomorrow.
“This demonstrates that we have not ignored the matter and that we have not taken sides with anyone,” he said at a press conference here at the contingent headquarters on Wednesday (Aug 19).
However, he noted that those that wished to be part of the public gallery can do so as it is open to all.
“If you are there to witness the charging the gallery is open to the public,” he said.
Previously lawyer Muhammad Rafique Rashid Ali told the media that his client, Muhammad Shah Hizam, 24, was served a summons by a Department of Veterinary Services (DVS) officer to appear in court at 9am tomorrow. However the exact charge has yet to be disclosed.
According to Persatuan Haiwan Terbiar Malaysia in a previous statement a group of men allegedly beat and strangled Rocky in Taman Teluk Gedung Indah, Port Klang on July 29.
“The owner pleaded for Rocky to be released but was ignored,” said the NGO, who also claimed that two officers from the Klang Royal City Council were present.
