Jendela Phase 2 must deliver reliable Internet, not just more towers, says Sabah minister


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah hopes that Jalinan Digital Negara (Jendela) Phase 2 rollout will tackle shortfalls faced in the implementation of digital connectivity for schools and rural areas under the first phase.

State Education, Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk James Ratib said previous experience, particularly concerning Internet connectivity performance in schools across Sabah, should serve as an important lesson in the implementation of new projects.

“We have previously raised concerns over the performance of Internet connectivity in Sabah schools.

"We do not want the same shortcomings to be repeated, especially in rural and interior areas where communities are highly dependent on reliable digital connectivity,” he said on Wednesday (Aug 19).

James said that stable Internet connectivity was no longer an additional facility but an essential requirement for sectors such as education.

He said this is to ensure that teachers and students can effectively access digital learning, educational platforms and online resources.

In welcoming the rollout, he said the Sabah government appreciates the Federal Government's commitment, particularly in expanding Internet access to rural and interior areas that continue to face telecommunication coverage challenges.

He said Sabah will give its full cooperation to the Federal Government and Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) in efforts to bridge the digital divide between urban, rural and interior communities.

However, James said Sabah wants the implementation of Jendela Phase 2 to be measured not by the number of projects delivered on schedule, but by Sabahans receiving good, stable and reliable internet connections.

“For Sabah, the success of Jendela Phase 2 should not be measured merely by how many towers are built or how many areas are classified as having coverage.

"The real measure of success is whether people in these areas can actually access the Internet effectively, consistently and reliably in their daily lives,” he said.

“Sabah will not compromise on the quality of connectivity, particularly in rural areas,” he said.

He urged MCMC to ensure that the service providers appointed for the implementation of Jendela Phase 2 possess the necessary technical capabilities, operational capacity and proven track record.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Death of Rocky: Selangor top cop advises against gathering ahead of man’s court charges tomorrow
Victims were in ‘safe’ area when hit by Immigration truck, say cops
Nearly 15,000 notices issued for minor littering offences nationwide, says Nga
Unemployed man pleads guilty to injuring stepdaughter and infant daughter
Minimum wage review does not automatically mean pay hike, says UNI-MLC
Firefighters save 162 houses after blaze destroys 28 homes in Sandakan water village
Investment firm director pleads not guilty to receiving RM13.4mil in proceeds from illegal activities
Immigration to review SOPs after three die in truck crash, says DG
PM orders thorough probe into Immigration truck crash that killed family of three
1,780 additional classrooms to be built nationwide for 2027 Year One intake

Others Also Read