MACC closes Xavier Jayakumar case due to insufficient evidence to charge


Water, Land and Natural Resources Minister Dr A. Xavier Jayakumar attended the mou ceremony between Indah Water Konsortium Sdn Bhd with Syarikat Air Terengganu Sdn Bhd at Intercontinental Hotel. AZMAN GHANI / The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has completed its investigation into a case involving former minister Datuk Dr Xavier Jayakumar, which was opened in 2021.

The anti-graft agency said two investigation papers were opened in 2021 under Section 16(a)(A) of the MACC Act 2009.

It said the investigation and a thorough review of the facts, documents and evidence had been carried out.

“Following the investigation and review, the Deputy Public Prosecutor decided to classify the case as 'Kemas Untuk Simpan' (arrange for storage) in 2024 as there was insufficient evidence to charge Datuk Dr Xavier,” it said in a statement on Wednesday (Aug 19).

Arrange for storage classifies an investigation paper as completed, filed away, and inactive, meaning no further action is taken unless new evidence emerges.

MACC said the duration of an investigation depended on the complexity of a case and the need to obtain, examine and verify relevant information and evidence.

The agency stressed that all investigations were conducted professionally and transparently, based on facts and evidence and without interference from any party.

“We urge all parties not to make any speculation or assumptions regarding the matter as the investigation has been completed,” it said.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

MCA questions RM3.06mil allocation to former Negri reps
Father, two daughters killed in Immigration lorry crash identified
Teasing believed to be behind Shah Alam school assault, say Selangor top cop
Fatal crash sparks calls for stricter rules on enforcement vehicles
China company eyes working with Sabah GLCs to develop biomass energy
Personal grudge believed to be motive behind woman being doused with petrol, set alight, say cops
Death of Rocky: Selangor top cop advises against gathering ahead of man’s court charges tomorrow
Victims were in ‘safe’ area when hit by Immigration truck, say cops
Nearly 15,000 notices issued for minor littering offences nationwide, says Nga
Jendela Phase 2 must deliver reliable Internet, not just more towers, says Sabah minister

Others Also Read