Putra Heights inferno: Technical investigation only possible after site is stable, says MB


SHAH ALAM: The technical investigation into the recent Putra Heights gas pipeline fire will only start on April 15 after the ground at the site is stabilised, says Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari.

The Selangor Mentri Besar added that work to strengthen and stabilise the site would start on Monday (April 7).

"The technical team will then assess the cause behind the blast after April 14 or 15," he said.

Amirudin also said that as at 11am on Monday, 151 houses affected by the fire had been deemed safe for occupancy and owners given the green light to return home.

"Volunteer teams such as SERVE (Selangor Volunteer) and Team Selangor are helping to clean the houses after seeking permission from owners," Amirudin said, adding this would allow victims to return to their daily lives as soon as possible.

Selangor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari said this is based on observations made by the technical team headed by the Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department on the 437 houses identified as the final number of homes affected in the incident.

Bernama reported that the total value of losses and damage to residences involved in the gas pipeline fire is estimated at RM65.4mil.

Amirudin said the technical team had made a final count of 437 houses affected by the blast after a house-to-house inspection.

"Eighty-one houses are confirmed as totally damaged, 81 partially damaged and 57 burnt without any structural damage," said Amirudin.

He also said starting Monday evening, 219 families registered with the Selangor disaster management unit would receive financial assistance from the Federal Government and Petronas, channelled through the state government.

He said owners of houses that are totally damaged will receive RM10,000, comprising RM5,000 from the Federal Government and RM5,000 from Petronas.

Those with partially damaged houses will receive RM2,500 from the Federal Government and RM2,500 from Petronas, while those renting houses damaged in the blast will also receive RM2,500 from the Federal Government and RM2,500 from Petronas.

"The state government has also agreed to give rental assistance of RM2,000 per month for six months to each affected family to rent houses while their homes are being repaired or rebuilt," said Amirudin.

He added rental assistance for the 613 families affected would cost the Selangor government RM7.356mil.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Father, two daughters killed in Immigration lorry crash identified
Teasing believed to be behind Shah Alam school assault, say Selangor top cop
MACC closes Xavier Jayakumar case due to insufficient evidence to charge
Fatal crash sparks calls for stricter rules on enforcement vehicles
China company eyes working with Sabah GLCs to develop biomass energy
Personal grudge believed to be motive behind woman being doused with petrol, set alight, say cops
Death of Rocky: Selangor top cop advises against gathering ahead of man’s court charges tomorrow
Victims were in ‘safe’ area when hit by Immigration truck, say cops
Nearly 15,000 notices issued for minor littering offences nationwide, says Nga
Jendela Phase 2 must deliver reliable Internet, not just more towers, says Sabah minister

Others Also Read