PERKESO reports higher beneficiaries and benefit payouts


Much to say: Cheong (right) and PERKESO’s head of branding, media and public relations Datuk Tengku Khalidah Tengku Bidin (left) speaking during a special session on media literacy. — LOW LAY PHON/The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: The Social Security Organisation (PERKESO) has recorded a year-on-year increase in beneficiaries, with ­rising wages also resulting in higher benefits, says its deputy chief executive (strategy and ­corporate) Edmund Cheong Peck Huang.

On the Non-Employment Injury Scheme (Lindung 24 Jam), he said the scheme had been discussed at the Cabinet level and with other ministries since 2017, with employers informed beforehand.

“I don’t think it is fair to say that we introduced the scheme in a surprising way. Actually, this has gone through all the processes. Parliament passed this law in December last year,” he told reporters after a special Media Literacy Session with Editors and Journalists and the announcement of the PERKESO iLINDUNGu Media Awards 2026 yesterday.

On the separate listing of contributions on payslips, Cheong said the practice was intended to promote transparency and educate workers about the different forms of protection available to them.

“Every line on the salary slip is a different type of salary or risk. We have the Employment Injury Scheme and the Employment Loss Scheme, and now we have the Lindung 24 Jam,” he said.

Cheong said combining the contributions would make it harder for workers to understand the protections provided under each scheme.

On the original contribution rate of 1.25% for Lindung 24 Jam, he said the Cabinet had directed that it be introduced gradually at 0.75% during the first phase.

He said 0.75% was the lowest rate that could be implemented while maintaining meaningful benefits, including compensation equivalent to 48% of income ­during medical leave.

“We can’t go so low that the benefits are irrelevant. If it’s not enough, there’s no reason for the Lindung 24 Jam scheme,” he said.

PERKESO also wants to maintain unlimited treatment and recovery benefits, he added, ­noting that fixed limits such as RM50,000 for physiotherapy may not be sufficient for serious injuries.

“We will increase the rate back to 1.25% in the sixth year. And in the sixth year, the benefits will also increase. Meaning that now it’s 48% for MC, and in the sixth year, it will be 80% in terms of income,” he said.

Cheong said PERKESO would only release participation figures after the opt-out deadline on Aug 31.

He urged workers deciding whether to participate or opt out to review their existing insurance coverage, including personal accident policies and medical cards.

“I want to advise you to make the right decision. Many people believe that having a personal accident policy or a medical card means they do not need 24-hour protection.

“But my advice is that we need to know what protection you have on your medical card and what protection you have on your personal insurance,” he said, adding that those who have opted out can still rejoin the scheme.

Separately, PERKESO has opened entries for the ­iLINDUNGu Media Awards 2026, which are organised in collaboration with the Malaysian Press Institute.

The awards recognise journalists and content creators whose work promotes public understanding of social protection and national well-being across television, radio, print, online and photography.

Entries featuring original, non-advertorial work published from Jan 1 will close on Oct 20. The awards ceremony will be held on Nov 11.

Further details are available at mpi.my/award/perkeso.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two KPDN enforcement personnel injured during LPG enforcement operation
Cambodia and Malaysia reaffirm army-to-army cooperation
No DAP partnership in Melaka polls or I walk, warns Akmal Saleh
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in seven states until 9pm (Aug 18)
Three foreigners nabbed for burglary
Two nabbed in Kulai for putting up Jalur Gemilang, Johor flag upside down
Former 1MDB CEO denies treating Jho Low ‘as prime minister’
Banting restaurant raided over illegal wildlife parts
Form Five student remanded two days for allegedly bullying junior
Orangutan population improving at Sungai Menyang Special Conservation Area, says WWF-Malaysia

Others Also Read