Couple’s 10-year wait for a child ends in deadly Bukit Kajang toll plaza crash


Scene of Saturday's (Sept 27) fatal crash after a lorry lost control and hit an SUV, resulting in the death of a one-year-old boy. - Sinar Harian

KAJANG: A decade’s trying for a child came to a tragic end for a couple when one of their twins was taken from them in Saturday’s (Sept 27) fatal lorry crash at the Bukit Kajang toll plaza.

That was the heartbreaking expression of Amirul Ridzuan Abu Bakar, 39, who was devastated by the loss of his year-old son Amir Husayn in a four-vehicle crash at the toll plaza on the Kajang Silk Highway (Silk).

In the 10.50am incident, the victim was thrown out of the car driven by his mother, Nurul Husna Khairuddin, 38, after being hit by a lorry.

Amirul, a lecturer, said that at the time of the accident, his wife was with their twin sons, Amir Husayn and Amir Hasan, as well as his in-laws, on their way out for breakfast, while he was in Kedah on work matters.

“At about 10.59am, I received an emergency message from my wife’s phone. I tried calling her several times but there was no answer until someone else picked up the call and informed me that my wife had been involved in an accident,” he said on Sunday, as reported by Sinar Harian.

Amirul also shared that before the incident, his youngest son had shown unusual behaviour.

“Normally, he would eat messily, but that morning he ate properly and eagerly, as though he knew his time had come,” he said.

According to Amirul, the post-mortem revealed that his son died due to internal bleeding.

He said that he and his wife, who married in 2013, were blessed with twin boys on 20 May last year after almost a decade of waiting for children.

“Amir Husayn was born 15 seconds after his brother, Amir Hasan. His remains were laid to rest at the Sungai Kantan Muslim Cemetery.

“The other twin is still healthy and under hospital observation. My wife is still grieving, so I want to give her space,” he said.

Amirul admitted to feeling regretful for not being with his family when the accident happened due to their long-distance arrangement.

“I am heartbroken seeing my wife’s condition, especially when remembering our child who has passed.

“I leave everything to the authorities to take appropriate action,” he said.

It was reported that the lorry’s brake failure was believed to have caused Saturday’s accident.

Kajang OCPD Asst Comm Naazron Abdul Yusof said the lorry driver allegedly jumped out of his vehicle after claiming to have experienced brake problems, before it crashed into three other vehicles heading towards the toll plaza.

As a result of the collision, the victim was confirmed dead at the scene, while seven others were injured and treated at Kajang Hospital, Serdang Hospital, and KPJ Kajang.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two Malaysians detained in Thailand, illicit narcotics seized
First Malayan tiger to be released from NWRC into natural habitat
Mother in dazed state, unable to process death of husband and two children
GOF seizes RM31.7mil worth of minerals in Perak
Four men armed with machetes and pump gun-like object rob jewellery shop in Kuantan
Anwar arrives in Brunei for Annual Leaders' Consultation
Perhilitan captures 500kg crocodile in Sungai Linggi
Police have initiated five investigations over Tabung Haji issue, 127 questioned
Malaysia to use Asean diplomatic channels to address trans-boundary haze
Govt challenges Semantan valuer's Duta Enclave land valuation

Others Also Read