Stop spreading videos of assault on disabled man, urge cops


CHUKAI: The police are urging the public not to spread videos of a disabled man being assaulted at the Padang Astaka Farmers' Market here.

Acting Kemaman police chief DSP Wan Muhamad Wan Ja'afar said videos found on various social media platforms had sparked outrage and confusion among the public.

He said that the police would take stern action against those found circulating the videos and making negative comments that could cause public distress.

"Action can be taken under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998. If convicted, the offender may be fined up to RM50,000, jailed for up to one year, or both, with an additional fine of RM1,000 for each day the offence continues after conviction," he said in a statement on Sunday (Jan 19).

Wan Muhamad said so far, police have detained four men, aged from 18 to 60, suspected of being involved in the incident.

He said three witnesses have also been summoned to have their statements recorded.

Wan Muhamad assured that the investigation would be conducted transparently and those responsible would be held accountable.

Meanwhile, the disabled man's wife, Faridah Abdul Karim, said she was devastated after seeing the videos of her husband Ahmad Nor Al Faizan Jusoh, 47, being assaulted.

She said her husband sustained a head injury and was currently being treated at the Psychiatric Ward of Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital (HSNZ) in Kuala Terengganu. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two suspected 'Geng Shafik' members among five charged with migrant smuggling
Malaysia’s top 7 global trust ranking shows nation on right track, says Nga
No compromise on sexual misconduct, says Johor Education Dept
Johor cops detain man for allegedly molesting pupil
Three dead, one seriously hurt after car crashes into cement lorry on Karak Highway
Penang braces for 1.9 million vehicles amid holiday rush, police intensify traffic ops
Two held over deadly helium cylinder blast in Sg Petani
Goldman Sachs to pay US$500mil to settle shareholder lawsuit over 1MDB scandal
We didn’t bar outsiders from Orang Asli villages, says Jakoa
Federal bike lane upgrade to be done by August

Others Also Read