Perak police await instructions on cadet's death case


IPOH: The Perak police are awaiting further instructions from the Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) regarding the re-opening of the investigation into the death of navy cadet officer J. Soosaimanicckam six years ago.

Perak police chief Comm Datuk Azizi Mat Aris said the actions would involve reclassifying the case under Section 302 of the Penal Code once they receive the instructions.

He said the case had previously been referred to the Ipoh High Court, but a new claim was made by the family of the deceased through the submission of a memorandum to the police.

"We will conduct the investigation after receiving instructions from the DPP.

"If there are instructions, then we will look at and reopen the investigation papers and classify the case according to Section 302 of the Penal Code (murder)," he told reporters at the Perak Police Contingent Headquarters here on Friday (Aug 9).

On Thursday (Aug 8), a total of 29 non-governmental organisations led by Lawyers For Liberty submitted a memorandum requesting the police to reopen the investigation into the death of the cadet officer.

The memorandum was handed over by lawyer Zaid Malek in Bukit Aman.

The claim was made following the Ipoh High Court’s decision on July 29, where the court set aside the coroner’s open verdict in the death of Soosaimanicckam and revised it to homicide.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Even with 40% revenue, Sabah still needs Putrajaya’s help, says Hajiji
Foreigners using M'sians as company proxies to evade tax, says LHDN
Sarawak collects RM3.87bil in revenue, economy projected to grow 5-6%
Respect Rafizi's decision to join Bersama as it is his right, says Aminuddin
Fahmi: No issue with using MyKad for social media age verification
E-hailing driver gets 30 years, 25 strokes of the cane for drug trafficking
Incident at PH convention regrettable, media should have space to do its job, says Fahmi
Malaysia seventh most trusted nation in the world, says study
Unity govt components committed to seeing its term through, says Fahmi
KVDT2 upgrade expected to be completed two years ahead of schedule, says KTMB

Others Also Read