Nightclub owners upset their outlets are still not allowed to operate in Phase Four of NRP


NIGHTCLUB owners in Kuala Lumpur who had been hoping to reopen their businesses when the city moved into Phase Four of the National Recovery Plan (NRP) on Oct 18 are shocked and disappointed that they have been left out yet again from the National Security Council’s (NSC) list.

According to the NSC website, entertainment activity was one of four activities on the negative list that are not allowed to operate.

“We are disappointed that until now there has been no engagement with us. While they may frown upon this industry, they have to understand that it provides jobs for thousands of people," Restaurant & Bistro Owners Association vice-president Jeremy Lim said on Friday (Oct 22).

“For whatever reasons they have chosen to leave us out, it has left many people out of a job.

“It has caused a chain reaction that is being felt by not just the ordinary bartender but the tenants and landlords who have been unable to pay for their properties and service loans," he added.

Businesses like dance clubs and nightclubs with entertainment licences have not been able to operate since the movement control order was first implemented on March 18 last year.

According to the association at least 40% of the businesses in Kuala Lumpur solely operating as entertainment outlets have had to switch to becoming restaurants in order to sustain themselves.

Lim advised the government to immediately engage with the stakeholders and be up front with them on the matter.

“If they don’t want to talk to the club owners then please speak to the trade owners within the industry. It’s about time they come down from their high horse and clarify matters," he said.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced last week that the Klang Valley – which covers Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya – and Melaka would move to Phase Four of the NRP on Monday (Oct 18).

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Metro News

Flood mitigation work in Klang to start next year
Keeping rubbish ‘in-house’
MBSJ to speed up business-related applications
MBPJ to engage with residents on community gardening issues
6,800 warrants issued for failure to pay assessment
PPSB: No need to increase passenger boat frequency
Contest winners picked for creative videos highlighting environmental problem
Ratepayers frustrated with MPAJ app’s glitches
Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines now available for those who prefer them over Pfizer
Tourist guides attend SOP training session before travellers arrive

Others Also Read


Vouchers