Klang Valley raids net RM12.8mil in contraband


Huge haul: Comm Muhammad (third from left) showing some of the seized products during a press conference in Kuala Lumpur. — LOW BOON TAT/The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Five people were arrested following raids on two premises which also saw the seizure of smuggled goods worth about RM12.8mil.

The raids were carried out in Kuala Lumpur and Klang in both premises, believed to have been used as temporary storage and collection centres.

The suspects are believed to be involved in smuggling activities and breaches of import regulations.

The operations on Aug 5 were led by the Bukit Aman Internal Security and Public Order Department (KDNKA) in collaboration with other enforcement agencies through intelligence sharing and surveillance.

KDNKA (operations) deputy director Comm Datuk Muhammad Abdul Halim said Op Taring Alpha 2 in Kuala Lumpur led to the arrest of three suspects – two Myanmar nationals and a local man.

“Most of the goods are believed to have been brought in through ports using documents declaring contents that differed from the actual goods.

“The activities are believed to have been conducted for more than six months,” he told a press conference yesterday.

Comm Muhammad said the raids at two locations in Kuala Lumpur resulted in the seizure of alcoholic beverages of various brands, as well as food and ­beverage products from China, with a total estimated value of RM5.1mil.

The seizures included 112 cans and 3,696 bottles of alcoholic beverages worth about RM2.57mil, 4,092 bottles of Zongpi CR ­alcoholic beverages worth about RM2.7mil and various food and beverage products from China worth about RM56,000.

Meanwhile, Op Taring Alpha 5 in Klang led to the arrest of two local men and the seizure of ­various goods worth about RM7.7mil.

“The items seized included alcoholic beverages from China worth RM2.1mil, 245 cartons of cigarettes containing 49,000 sticks worth nearly RM300,000, 1,800 helmets valued at RM1.8mil, 780 sets of mobile phone accessories worth RM936,000, beauty products worth RM2.2mil and 260 potted bonsai trees valued at RM260,000,” said Comm Muhammad.

He added that 240 raids ­conducted nationwide had resulted in the arrest of 413 people with the total value of seizures amounting to RM314mil.

In a separate development, Comm Muhammad said 10 General Operations Force personnel, including an inspector, had been detained to assist investigations into an alleged extortion case involving an e-waste factory in Penang.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Do you know... about the dos and don'ts of EV charging?
Having doubts about your new online love?
Balancing the cost of better pay
Ex-Tabung Haji CEO remanded by MACC
A community draped in the spirit of ‘Merdeka’
‘Graft has no race or religion’
S’pore security guard jailed, fined over religious insults
Marital spat ends in eight life sentences
PM seeks Prabowo’s intervention over potential losses from Felda venture
Kaka shares personal trials to inspire women

Others Also Read