Easing of Pulau Besar fishing ban benefits over 1,200 fishermen, says Melaka CM


MELAKA: More than 1,200 fishermen in the state have been given a much-needed lifeline after the Federal Government approved fishing activities in parts of the Pulau Besar Fisheries Prohibited Area, says Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh.

The Melaka Chief Minister said the approval, granted on April 15, was officially conveyed by the Agriculture and Food Security Ministry together with the Fisheries Department following continuous engagement between the Federal and state governments to address concerns raised by the local fishing community.

The move is expected to benefit 1,241 fishermen whose fishing activities had been affected by restrictions in the waters surrounding the island of Pulau Besar, providing them with greater opportunities to increase their earnings.

"The state government welcomes this decision as it strikes a balance between efforts to conserve the nation's fisheries resources and the need for local communities to sustain their livelihoods.

"This special permission will greatly benefit the local fishing community while helping to increase their catch and income without compromising the country's marine conservation agenda," he said on Monday (June 22).

Ab Rauf said the waters surrounding Pulau Besar had been gazetted as a marine park and designated as a no-fishing zone since 1994 to safeguard marine resources and biodiversity.

However, the Fisheries Department, through Licensing Circular No. 2 of 2026, introduced a set of conditions to ensure that fishing activities within the permitted zones were conducted in a controlled and sustainable manner.

According to Ab Rauf, the special permission is only applicable to licensed fishermen based in the state who operate licensed vessels or traditional boats.

"The approved fishing methods are restricted to hook-and-line techniques such as rod fishing, longlines and squid jigging," he said.

The Chief Minister added that recreational fishing from land on Pulau Besar would continue to be allowed without time restrictions under existing regulations.

He also said the state government would continue working closely with the Fisheries Department to ensure strict compliance with the stipulated conditions while preserving fisheries resources for future generations.

"The state government remains committed to balancing economic development with environmental sustainability to ensure that the interests of both the fishing community and marine ecosystems are protected," he said.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two Malaysians detained in Thailand, illicit narcotics seized
First Malayan tiger to be released from NWRC into natural habitat
Mother in dazed state, unable to process death of husband and two children
GOF seizes RM31.7mil worth of minerals in Perak
Four men armed with machetes and pump gun-like object rob jewellery shop in Kuantan
Anwar arrives in Brunei for Annual Leaders' Consultation
Perhilitan captures 500kg crocodile in Sungai Linggi
Police have initiated five investigations over Tabung Haji issue, 127 questioned
Malaysia to use Asean diplomatic channels to address trans-boundary haze
Govt challenges Semantan valuer's Duta Enclave land valuation

Others Also Read