Over 1,200 fishermen allowed partial access to Pulau Besar


MELAKA: More than 1,200 fishermen here have received a lifeline with the Federal Government approving fishing activities in parts of the Pulau Besar Fisheries Prohibited Area, the Chief Minister revealed.

Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh said the approval on April 15 was conveyed by the Agriculture and Food Security Ministry and Fisheries Department, following continuous engagement between the federal and state governments on concerns raised by the local fishing community.

He said this would benefit 1,241 fishermen whose activities had been affected by restrictions in waters surrounding Pulau Besar, by enabling them to increase their catch and earnings.

“The state government welcomes this decision as it strikes a balance between efforts to conserve the nation’s fisheries resources and need for local communities to sustain their livelihoods,” he said here yesterday.

Ab Rauf said the waters surrounding Pulau Besar had been gazetted as a marine park and designated as a no-fishing zone since 1994 to safeguard marine resources and biodiversity.

However, he said the Fisheries Department introduced a set of conditions to ensure fishing activities within the permitted zones were conducted in a controlled and sustainable manner.

The Chief Minister said the special permission was only applicable to licensed fishermen who operate vessels or traditional boats.

“The approved fishing methods are restricted to hook-and-line techniques such as rod fishing, longlines and squid jigging,” he said.

Ab Rauf said recreational fishing from land on Pulau Besar would continue to be allowed without time restrictions under existing regulations.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two Malaysians detained in Thailand, illicit narcotics seized
First Malayan tiger to be released from NWRC into natural habitat
Mother in dazed state, unable to process death of husband and two children
GOF seizes RM31.7mil worth of minerals in Perak
Four men armed with machetes and pump gun-like object rob jewellery shop in Kuantan
Anwar arrives in Brunei for Annual Leaders' Consultation
Perhilitan captures 500kg crocodile in Sungai Linggi
Police have initiated five investigations over Tabung Haji issue, 127 questioned
Malaysia to use Asean diplomatic channels to address trans-boundary haze
Govt challenges Semantan valuer's Duta Enclave land valuation

Others Also Read