Melaka BN being courted like a 'maiden' ahead of state polls, says Ab Rauf


MELAKA: Melaka Barisan Nasional is being courted by both Pakatan Harapan and Perikatan Nasional ahead of the state election, placing the coalition in an enviable position as it considers its choice of electoral partner, says Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh.

The Melaka Barisan chairman likened the overtures to suitors seeking the hand of an attractive maiden.

“We are like a beautiful maiden, so naturally we have many suitors,” he told reporters on Thursday (Aug 20).

Ab Rauf, who is also Melaka Chief Minister, said Barisan would carefully consider all possible alliances before deciding on its political direction for the state polls.

This, he said, would include potential cooperation with Pakatan, Perikatan or any other party willing to engage in discussions with Barisan.

"As the head of the family, I will naturally choose the suitor who offers the best dowry to become my ‘son-in-law’.

“Everyone will have to wait as I will hold the necessary discussions and announce the outcome to the locals, who are eagerly awaiting the decision,” he said.

He was speaking to the media outside the High Court in Ayer Keroh here after attending proceedings related to his defamation suit against Bersatu deputy information chief Datuk Seri Mohamad Ali Mohamad.

The proceedings will resume on Friday (Aug 21).

Ab Rauf was responding to questions about preparations for the Melaka polls following separate indications from Pakatan and Perikatan leaders that they were open to cooperating with Barisan.

He said no formal discussions had been held with any party so far, including over the proposed “Barisan Plus” formula.

He said any negotiations on a possible electoral partnership would be conducted at Umno headquarters and not in the historic city.

Ab Rauf said Barisan remained open to discussions with any party, provided both sides were willing to explore common ground.

"It does not matter whether it is PKR, PAS or any other party. We are open to discussions with anyone prepared to engage with us,” he said.

However, he stressed that any negotiation must begin with Barisan retaining the 21 state seats it won in the 2021 state election.

“What is important is that Barisan will defend the 21 seats we won although there may be changes involving other seats, but negotiations must begin on the basis that we will retain those seats.

"Even if several seats are exchanged, the total must remain the same,” he said.

Asked about Umno Youth chief Datuk Dr Muhamad Akmal Saleh’s declaration that he would not contest the state election if Barisan cooperated with Pakatan, Ab Rauf said it was premature to discuss the matter.

“It is still too early and we have not made a decision.

"We do not even know who our electoral partners will be,” he added.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar to attend Annual Leaders' Consultation during two-day working visit to Brunei
Lorry driver killed after skidding into drain near Ayer Hitam school
Anwar to make important announcements on Aug 30, Sept 16
Kedah MB's ex-political secretary ordered to enter defence in bribery case
SC wins suit, five individuals ordered to pay RM103.75mil
Ex-1MDB CEO doesn't know why allegations in separate suit changed, court hears
Muslims' faith makes them more averse to corruption, claims Hadi
CAAM tightens drug, alcohol screening for aviation personnel
Annual WAK Festival has potential to become major regional event, says Sarawak tourism minister
Sarawak's Serian district records very unhealthy API as at 5pm

Others Also Read