My Rider campaign timely move to curb commuting mishaps, says Lee


KUALA LUMPUR: The launch of the My Rider campaign by the Social Security Organisation (PERKESO) and the Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department is a timely initiative.

The campaign aims to address the rising number of road accidents involving commuters, particularly motorcyclists.

Road Safety Council member Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye said the campaign comes at a crucial time as commuting accidents continue to account for a significant portion of road mishaps nationwide.

"A total of 46,542 out of the 91,456 accident cases recorded last year, or 50.9%, involved accidents occurring while travelling to and from work," he said when contacted on Sunday (May 24).

"Even more worrying is the fact that motorcyclists account for more than 65% of road fatalities," he said.

"These are not just numbers or statistics. Behind every accident is a human tragedy involving lives lost, permanent injuries, emotional trauma, and families who suddenly lose their loved ones and breadwinners," he added.

Lee said road safety should be treated as a national responsibility requiring the commitment of all stakeholders, including the government, employers, enforcement agencies, road users and civil society.

While acknowledging the role of PERKESO in providing protection and compensation to victims and their families, he said financial aid alone could not replace the pain and suffering caused by preventable accidents.

He stressed the need to cultivate a stronger culture of prevention, awareness, responsibility and safe riding habits among road users, especially motorcyclists who remain among the most vulnerable groups on Malaysian roads.

"In this regard, the My Rider campaign carries a very important message through its slogan, 'Malaysian Riders: Safe, Prudent and Dignified'," he said.

"Every rider must understand that riding safely is not merely about obeying traffic laws, but about valuing life, protecting one’s family, and showing respect for other road users," he added.

Lee also warned against normalising reckless riding behaviour such as speeding, dangerous overtaking, distracted riding and ignoring safety measures.

He added that employers also have a responsibility to encourage safer commuting practices by promoting road safety education, ensuring workers receive adequate rest and avoiding unreasonable work pressure that may contribute to fatigue and accidents.

Lee expressed hope that enforcement efforts, road safety education, infrastructure improvements and public awareness campaigns would continue to be strengthened nationwide.

"More importantly, road safety education should begin from a young age so that responsible road behaviour becomes part of our national culture," he said.

He added that the My Rider campaign deserves the support of all Malaysians, stressing that saving lives on the road must remain a collective priority.

"Every life lost on the road is one too many," he said.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Perak PKR wants PM to defend Tambun seat, says Mohamad Hairul
Teen killed, one injured in two-vehicle crash in Ayer Tawar
New Act secures pay for legal aid lawyers
T’ganu youth embrace heritage games
Johor forms interim Bersama committee
Beadwork artisan joins ranks of heritage icons
‘A concrete move to support the construction sectors’
‘PAS leadership will decide’
Lorry driver’s fake permit fuel run stopped
Sabah mapping out 25-year forest development master plan

Others Also Read