Sharp rise in sexual harassment cases against male victims, says Nancy


KUALA LUMPUR: Sexual harassment cases involving male victims have recorded a significant rise, with the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry receiving more than 1,000 reports since 2024, says Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.

She said a similar upward trend was also recorded in police statistics, indicating the effectiveness of the ministry’s advocacy programme in encouraging victims to come forward and lodge reports.

Nancy said sexual harassment cases reported by male victims included unwanted physical contact.

"For example, there was an incident at a shopping complex where a male victim was suddenly approached and held from behind by a male salesperson while he was about to enter the fitting room,” she told reporters after officiating the Zero Tolerance of Violence: Say No to Sexual Harassment programme here on Tuesday (May 19).

She said that based on complaints received by the Anti-Sexual Harassment Tribunal, a total of three cases involving male victims were recorded, with some already resulting in award orders.

Meanwhile, on the alleged sexual harassment case involving a district police chief in Sarawak, Nancy said the case is still under police investigation.

"The ministry commends the courage of the officer involved for coming forward and will continue to monitor developments closely,” she said.

On sexual harassment cases involving children at home, Nancy urged family members to take all complaints from children seriously, especially when they involve a close family member.

"We need to listen to what they say, as children sometimes hesitate to talk to their mothers and siblings for fear of being accused of making up stories.

"Through the advocacy programme we run, children are now starting to become aware of their rights. In fact, some are seeking alternative channels to lodge complaints, including contacting Talian Kasih 15999 or using modern technology such as artificial intelligence (AI) to seek help,” she said.

In her speech, Nancy also said that as of April 26, a total of 92 complaints had been filed with the Anti-Sexual Harassment Tribunal, with 69 of them successfully resolved, demonstrating the tribunal’s effectiveness in expediting justice for victims.

She said police statistics showed a worrying upward trend, with the number of sexual harassment cases rising from 477 in 2022 to 1,038 in 2025, reflecting that the issue is becoming more serious and requires firm action as well as greater public awareness. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read