PETALING JAYA: Victims of an alleged luxury watch scam are asking why there has been a delay in charging the suspect, when she has already been charged in Shah Alam over a similar case.
Lawyer Joseph Tan, who represented several of the victims, which hailed from Petaling Jaya, said it has been a year a police report was lodged over the scam.
He added that a similar case in Shah Alam involving the same suspect had been reported later but was already at the trial stage.
“The victims in the PJ case have lodged a police report in early 2025 and until now have yet to receive updates. We understand that the police are busy with other cases as well but we would appreciate any developments and progress because this involves multiple victims and millions in loses.
“The suspect has also been charged in the Shah Alam courts, so our question is why that case is already approaching its fourth mention date when the losses there were much lower,” he said at a press conference at Amcorp Mall here on Tuesday (May 19).
The matter first came to light last year after a press conference by MCA Public Services and Complaints Department head Datuk Seri Michael Chong.
He said clients were scammed after entrusting their watches to a shop operated by a woman, who would earn a commission once a sale was made.
However, Chong said problems began to surface when the woman allegedly informed clients that their watches had been sold but failed to return the proceeds.
"She gave numerous excuses, ranging from delayed customer deposit payments to claiming she was suffering from mental health issues.
He added that multiple police reports have been lodged after at least 20 individuals claimed to have lost over RM15mil in luxury timepieces to the watch reseller.
