Process to bring home elephants from Tennoji Zoo cannot be rushed, says deputy minister


MERSING: The process of bringing home three elephants – Dara, Amoi and Kelat – from Tennoji Zoo in Osaka, Japan, cannot be rushed as it involves several procedures that must be followed, says the Deputy Natural Resources and Environmental Sustainability Minister.

Syed Ibrahim Syed Noh said the welfare and safety of the animals must be prioritised to prevent any untoward incidents.

"It’s not a case of deciding today and bringing them back tomorrow. There is also an existing agreement between Zoo Taiping and Night Safari (ZTNS) and Tennoji Zoo.

"So the matter needs to be carefully considered and assessed. As for when they might be brought home, I’m not in a position to say as I do not have the details,” he told reporters after launching the Biodiversity Exploration Programme within the Central Forest Spine ecological network at Lenggor Forest Reserve and Mersing Forest Reserve on Tuesday (May 19).

He said the ministry has entrusted ZTNS and the Taiping Municipal Council with handling matters related to the elephants, including any necessary follow-up action.

Previously, Natural Resources and Environmental Sustainability Minister Datuk Seri Arthur Joseph Kurup said that proposals from various parties, including non-governmental organisations (NGOs), to bring the elephants home should be given serious consideration.

The three elephants were previously transferred to Tennoji Zoo under a conservation collaboration, a move that has recently drawn public concern over their welfare. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Understand principles of Rukun Negara, Selangor Ruler tells Seri Kembangan rep, ex-DAP leader
Govt refining Subsidised Diesel Control System to make it more targeted, says Akmal
Two men fined RM1,300, ordered to do community service for littering
Malaysia's inflation rate remains stable, lower than regional peers
Penang govt has implemented 47 out of 50 manifesto pledges, says CM
Housewife charged again over offensive post against King
Penang Pakatan remains open to working with Barisan, says Chow
Barisan to continue maintaining understanding in Unity Govt, says Zambry
MBI Selangor denies involvement in Bernam Maritime Industrial Park project
Anti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says Nancy

Others Also Read