Court acquits former Perlis MB's son of RM19,505 false claim charge


KANGAR: The Sessions Court here on Tuesday (May 19) acquitted and discharged the son of former Perlis Menteri Besar Mohd Shukri Ramli from a charge of submitting a false claim amounting to RM19,505.10 in February 2024.

Judge Datuk Nu'aman Mahmud Zuhudi ruled that the prosecution had failed to establish a prima facie case against Mohd Syafeeq Mohd Shukri, 37, after examining the witnesses' testimony.

As such, the accused was not called to enter his defence.

"Therefore, the accused is acquitted and discharged, and the bail money of RM20,000 is to be returned," the judge said.

On May 23, 2024, Mohd Syafeeq pleaded not guilty in the same court to a charge of submitting a government order to Nurul Nabilah Mohd Sukri, an administrative assistant at the District Administration Division, Perlis State Secretary's Office, with the intent to deceive his principal.

He was accused of having reason to believe that the claim document dated Feb 14, 2024, for RM19,505.10 in the name of Mohd Farid Abdul Hamid, related to beverage supply services for the Raja of Perlis, Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Jamalullail, at Tuanku Fauziah Hospital here, contained false particulars.

The charge was brought under Section 18 of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Act 2009 (Act 694).

Meanwhile, speaking to reporters after the proceedings, MACC deputy public prosecutor Ahmad Fariz Abdul Hamid said 11 prosecution witnesses were presented over the two-year trial period.

He said the prosecution will file a notice of appeal with the Kangar High Court against the decision within 14 days.

Mohd Syafeeq was represented by lawyer Mohd Fadhly Yaacob. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Penang Pakatan remains open to working with Barisan, says Chow
Barisan to continue maintaining understanding in Unity Govt, says Zambry
Anti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says Nancy
Nancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officer
Mindef to strengthen local defence industry, says Khaled
Woman fined RM2,000 for offering sexual services
Malaysia warns regional nations over Norway defence deals after axed RM1bil missile pact
Johor Barisan's move to contest state election independently not a betrayal of unity govt, says Zambry
Penang litterbugs face street sweeping, drain cleaning from July
Volunteer fire brigades hit back at corruption claims after viral post

Others Also Read