Penang Pakatan remains open to working with Barisan, says Chow


Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.-filepic

GEORGE TOWN: Pakatan Harapan’s ties with Barisan Nasional in Penang remain open despite recent political friction in Johor and Negri Sembilan, says Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.

The Penang Pakatan chairman said any final decision on electoral cooperation would ultimately be determined by the national leadership.

“Ultimately, the decision comes from the leadership at the national level and all the states, I believe, will have to align themselves with the national decision,” he said.

Chow was speaking during a press conference held at his office in Komtar on Tuesday (May 19) to update the public on the progress of the state's manifesto.

He was responding to press queries on political cooperation ahead of the next general election.

This follows Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's said that a snap general election could be called if cracks continue to form within the Unity Government.

Anwar had also stated that Pakatan is prepared to contest all seats in several states, including Negri Sembilan, Selangor, Penang and Pahang, if Barisan proceeds with full-scale electoral challenges in the coming polls.

Chow noted that the Prime Minister's recent focus was mainly on the developments in Johor and Negri Sembilan.

"This could be due to what happened in Negri Sembilan and related to those two states," Chow said.

"While some states are for Pakatan contesting solo, some are open to working with Barisan. At the end of the day, the decision of the states will align with that of the national decision.

"It is still too early to make firm predictions," he added.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Wiring faults leading cause of fires involving heritage building in Penang, says Bomba
Barisan to continue maintaining understanding in Unity Govt, says Zambry
Anti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says Nancy
Court acquits former Perlis MB's son of RM19,505 false claim charge
Nancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officer
Mindef to strengthen local defence industry, says Khaled
Woman fined RM2,000 for offering sexual services
Malaysia warns regional nations over Norway defence deals after axed RM1bil missile pact
Johor Barisan's move to contest state election independently not a betrayal of unity govt, says Zambry
Penang litterbugs face street sweeping, drain cleaning from July

Others Also Read