Home Ministry to table Bidor special refugee centre report to Cabinet


-filepic

PUTRAJAYA: The Home Ministry will submit a report on the implementation of the Special Refugee and Asylum Seeker Detention Centre in Bidor, Perak, to the Cabinet next month, says Home Minister Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

Saifuddin said the report on the refugee centre would be tabled to the Cabinet following a request by Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim during the National Economic Action Council meeting on Tuesday (May 19).

He said Home Ministry deputy secretary-general Abdul Halim Abdul Rahman had been instructed to prepare the Cabinet memorandum on the matter as soon as possible.

"By the second week of June, we will present it as a Cabinet memorandum to fellow ministers following the Prime Minister's request. We now have the opportunity to provide details on a special project currently being carried out in line with the responsibility entrusted to us by the NSC under the framework of Comprehensive Refugee Management," he said.

Speaking at the 2025 Excellent Service Award ceremony of the Immigration Department here on Tuesday, Saifuddin said the implementation of the Special Refugee and Asylum Seeker Detention Centre in Bidor would become a game changer for comprehensive refugee management in Malaysia.

"It is a major project that will determine the success of, and has the potential to become, a game changer for comprehensive refugee management in our country," he said.

Previously, the Home Ministry had taken proactive steps to strengthen policies involving the management of foreigners, including refugees and asylum seekers, through the establishment of the refugee centre in Bidor.

The modern facility serves not only as a screening and documentation centre, but also as a National Reference Centre for security screening, biometric verification, documentation and status assessment.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Malaysia needs future-ready immigration system to counter global threats, says Saifuddin
Report lodged over alleged press harassment at Pakatan convention, says Johor Media Club
High Court orders retrial for Chegubard, influencer in defamation case
PKR MPs deny betraying mandate after attending Rafizi-Nik Nazmi event
PKR leaders must take responsibility for disloyalty to party, says Amirudin
Victims question delay in action on pending PJ case over alleged luxury watch scam
Global supply crisis: Impact expected to be more pronounced in Q3, says Economy Minister
Defence Ministry claiming RM1bil in compensation from Norwegian firm over missile deal
Only 5.2% of govt projects categorised as sick, says Ahmad Maslan
Gambit Annual Legacy Awards 2026 features Malaysia Book of Records recognition

Others Also Read