KL, Manila discuss expediting repatriation of over 5,000 immigration detainees in Sabah


MANILA: Malaysia and the Philippines on Tuesday (Aug 18) discussed measures to expedite the repatriation of more than 5,000 undocumented Philippine migrants held at four immigration depot centres in Sabah.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said screening by the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur identified over 1,000 individuals ready for immediate deportation.

"We discussed how to accelerate repatriation of these undocumented migrants so the Philippine government can take them back via sea routes or other viable means.

"These detention centres can no longer accommodate such a high number of detainees," he told Bernama following the 9th Malaysia-Philippines Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) at the Department of Foreign Affairs here today.

He said Malaysia wants the Philippine government to act swiftly to repatriate its citizens home while screening the remaining batches continues.

Mohamad said both nations also discussed educational provisions for the undocumented migrants' children in Sabah. Malaysia agreed to study the need for their continued education before repatriation.

He stressed that any educational facility must be managed directly by the Philippine government to ensure proper oversight.

"We do not want private, unregulated schools being set up without proper monitoring," he said.

Touching on the Sabah claim raised by certain quarters in the Philippines, Mohamad said the matter was not discussed directly during the JCM. He urged the Asean member nation to respect international law and the global recognition of Sabah as part of Malaysia.

"Sabah was recognised by the United Nations (UN) through a commission presented by the UN Secretary-General as part of Malaysian territory. Therefore, there should be no issue over claiming Sabah is not part of Malaysia," he said.

Mohamad had previously said that Malaysia would send a diplomatic note to the Philippines after Senator Robin Padilla urged President Ferdinand Marcos Jr to revive the nation's claim over Sabah.

Earlier, Mohamad co-chaired the JCM alongside Philippine Secretary of Foreign Affairs Ma. Theresa P. Lazaro. - Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Malaysian motorcycle convoy participants abroad must obey local laws, say police
Do not arbitrarily use the term ‘customary land’, says Pahang Ruler
Negri assembly passes RM40.35mil supplementary supply Bill
Eight areas in Sabah hit by dry spell
Eviction ruling on Undang Rembau, Sungei Ujong official residences set for Aug 24
Water supply in dams well under control, says SPAN as El Nino heralds dry months ahead
Lawyer files bid to add RCI report as fresh evidence in Dr M’s Pulau Batu Puteh hearing
FashionValet received RM19.6mil from Khazanah in 2018, court told
Cop jailed eight years for drunk driving, fined RM40,000
Home Ministry to submit refugee data by year-end

Others Also Read