Eviction ruling on Undang Rembau, Sungei Ujong official residences set for Aug 24


SEREMBAN: The High Court has set Aug 24 for its decision on an originating summons filed by the Negri Sembilan state government seeking an immediate eviction order for the official halls and residences of the Undang Rembau and Undang Sungei Ujong.

Judge Roz Mawar Rozain set the date after hearing submissions from the state government’s counsel Muhammad Hariz Md Yusoff, and lawyers Choo Shi Jin and Asmawi Ismail, representing Abdul Rahim Yasin and Datuk Mubarak Thahak, respectively.

"The court sets Aug 24 for the decision at 4pm via Zoom," said the judge on Tuesday (Aug 18).

The Negri Sembilan state government filed separate originating summonses against Abdul Rahim and Mubarak on 16 and 17 July, respectively.

Besides Abdul Rahim and Mubarak, other respondents named include occupants or individuals residing at the official halls and residences of Undang Rembau and Undang Sungei Ujong.

The state government, as the owner of the premises, is seeking an order affirming its right to vacant possession of all four premises, as well as a declaration that the respondents and any other occupants still residing there are trespassers without legal right, licence, or permission from the applicant.

The state government is also seeking an order for all respondents to immediately move and hand over vacant possession of the premises.

Earlier, Muhammad Hariz argued that the state government has locus standi (legal standing) to file the summons under Section 22(1) of the Government Proceedings Act, read together with Sections 5, 16(1)(c), and 40 of the National Land Code.

"The applicant is the Negri Sembilan state government, the lawful owner and authority over the premises, which have been gazetted as public reserve land under Section 62 of the National Land Code," he said.

He added that eviction notices were served on April 29 and June 29, but the respondents are still occupying the premises.

According to Muhammad Hariz, Abdul Rahim occupies the official hall and residence of Undang Rembau based on prior permission or licence granted in his capacity as the Undang Luak Rembau.

He said an official notice from the Dewan Keadilan dan Undang (DKU) dated Aug 1, 2026, had finalised the position regarding the rightful holder of the Undang Luak Rembau title.

"To date, the applicant has been unable to access the government premises for nearly 50 days," he said.

Muhammad Hariz was assisted by Negri Sembilan state legal advisor Ala'uddin Baharom and lawyer Ahmad Khalil Md Rofiee.

Meanwhile, Choo objected to the originating summons, arguing that the applicant was not the proper party to bring the action.

He pointed out that control and administration of state land vests in the State Director of Lands and Mines, not the state government.

"Even in the applicant's own case, no right of possession is vested in the applicant, as the said premises are unalienated State land with no registered proprietor at all.

"The care and maintenance of the said reserve, according to the applicant's own gazette notifications, vests in the District Officer of Rembau, and not the applicant," he said.

Asmawi, adopting Choo's arguments, also contended that the state government lacks locus standi to file the originating summons.

Previously, Mubarak was reported to have been stripped of his position as the Undang Luak Sungei Ujong. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Malaysian motorcycle convoy participants abroad must obey local laws, say police
Do not arbitrarily use the term ‘customary land’, says Pahang Ruler
Negri assembly passes RM40.35mil supplementary supply Bill
Eight areas in Sabah hit by dry spell
Water supply in dams well under control, says SPAN as El Nino heralds dry months ahead
KL, Manila discuss expediting repatriation of over 5,000 immigration detainees in Sabah
Lawyer files bid to add RCI report as fresh evidence in Dr M’s Pulau Batu Puteh hearing
FashionValet received RM19.6mil from Khazanah in 2018, court told
Cop jailed eight years for drunk driving, fined RM40,000
Home Ministry to submit refugee data by year-end

Others Also Read