PUTRAJAYA: A joint plan between the Home Ministry and the Transport Ministry on enhancing security at entry points will be presented to Cabinet on Wednesday (Aug 19), says Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.
The Home Minister, when met after an MOU signing between the Home Ministry and the Communications Ministry, said the the plan will be presented with the Transport Minister and that it was prepared following a directive to strengthen controls at the country’s entry points through the coordination of various relevant agencies.
He added that the plan will take into account the strengthening of inter-agency cooperations to prevent “silo approaches”.
“We want to see which areas can be improved and will look at all the requirements comprehensively.
“I appreciate the fact that the Home Ministry has produced a plan that will strengthen controls at the entry points so that incidents (of drug smuggling) do not recur,” he said.
Previously Transport Minister Anthony Loke said that the Cabinet will be briefed on proposed measures to strengthen aviation security procedures and facilities following the detention of a Malaysian pilot in Indonesia for alleged drug smuggling.
He added that the Home Ministry was mainly responsible for drafting comprehensive plans to improve standard operating procedures (SOP) for security screening and other measures.
