Legal process must prevail over politics in Sabah mining licence probe, says Masidi


KOTA KINABALU: The prosecution of two Sabah assemblymen linked to a corruption case involving a mining prospecting licences should not be viewed through a political lens, said state Finance Minister Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun (pic).

The Parti Gagasan Rakyat Sabah deputy president stressed that upholding the rule of law and the presumption of innocence must take precedence over any perceived political ramifications.

“We respect the legal process. Charges brought forward by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) do not mean the individuals are guilty. They must be given the opportunity to clear their names in court,” he said.

Speaking at the Gagasan Rakyat Annual Conference for the Petagas division on Saturday (June 27), Masidi dismissed speculation that the case could destabilise the state’s ruling coalition.

“Whether there are political consequences or not is not important. What is happening now is a manifestation of due legal process, and that must be respected by all,” he said.

The two assemblymen, one of whom is a state assistant minister and the other a government-linked company chairman, are expected to be formally charged here on June 30. 

Both were previously detained and later released on bail by the MACC. 

They were detained on suspicion of soliciting and receiving bribes over the issuance of a mining licence in the state.

The other is a whistleblower previously linked to the circulation of videos related to the case.

The alleged offences are believed to have occurred between 2023 and 2024.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts

Others Also Read