Royal addendum for Najib's house arrest is real, says Zahid


KUALA LUMPUR: The Royal addendum from the former Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah, which would allow Datuk Seri Najib Razak to go under house arrest, does exist, claims Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

The Deputy Prime Minister said this in his affidavit in support of Najib's application for leave to commence judicial review in relation to the royal addendum he claimed was granted to him along with his royal pardon.

In the document, the Umno president said he was shown the document by former Selangor Umno treasurer Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Abdul Aziz at his (Ahmad Zahid's) house at Country Heights on Jan 30.

Ahmad Zahid said Tengku Zafrul showed him a copy of the addendum order on his (Tengku Zafrul's) phone which he personally photographed or scanned from an original copy as shown to him by the former YDPA.

ALSO READ: Zahid: Umno to play its part in seeking full pardon for Najib

“The contents of the addendum order expressly stated that the applicant (Najib) be allowed to serve the reduced sentence of his imprisonment under condition of house arrest, instead of the current prison confinement in the Kajang Prison.

“I further sighted that the addendum order is dated Jan 29 and has the seal and signature of His Majesty Seri Paduka Baginda the Yang di-Pertuan Agong XVI.

“I further confirm that the addendum order is genuine and in fact is the Royal Prerogative Order as the Main Order.

“I verily believe that for the sufficient period of time I sighted and read the addendum order, and I clearly saw the entire contents and that it forms part of the pardon process.

“Thus, I hereby confirm the existence of the addendum order dated Jan 29 issued by the former King,” Ahmad Zahid stated in the affidavit dated April 9.

ALSO READ: Pardons Board tried to appease everyone, but no one is happy, says Najib’s ex-lawyer

The affidavit is accessible to the public on the judiciary website.

Previously, the court was told that a "crucial witness" would be supporting Najib's application in his bid to go under house arrest.

Ahmad Zahid, however, stated that he did not have a copy of the impugned document due to confidentiality and propriety, especially in the light of the fact that the addendum order had by then not been executed or enforced.

He said he believed that other government members have seen the addendum order apart from him and Tengku Zafrul.

“Specifically, I am aware that Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail (Pahang menteri besar) has also seen a copy of the addendum order and can confirm the same.

ALSO READ: Was house arrest part of Najib's pardon, Ismail Sabri asks in Parliament

“I am further verily informed that the Attorney General (AG) has the original copy of the addendum order for his legal input on the same,” Ahmad Zahid said.

Earlier, the High Court barred the press from covering the hearing of Najib's leave application at the request of Najib's lead counsel Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah.

Muhammad Shafee said the matter should be moved in-chambers due to its sensitive nature.

Senior Federal Counsels Shamsul Bolhassan and Ahmad Hanir Hambaly did not object.

Justice Amarjeet Singh allowed the application.

The judge fixed June 5 to deliver his decision.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Indonesian man nabbed with drugs worth RM110,000 in Perak
Malaysian Harvard law student wins prestigious US award for helping poor clients
Papagomo's representation to drop sedition charge dismissed, Trial on July 11
Wild party at Terengganu resort, owner issued compound of RM25,000
Diesel subsidies cost govt RM1bil a month, losses RM4.5mil a day, says minister
Pulau Gaya islanders catch 200kg croc lurking off KK city waters
Fuel subsidy details missing from PM's speech, says Hamzah
Diesel subsidy rationalisation to be done this year, says Domestic Trade Minister (Poll Inside)
State education department to closely track kids to ensure they get an education, says Johor exco
Perlis MB's son pleads not guilty to charge of submitting false claims

Others Also Read