‘I will harvest the fruit when it’s ripe’, Melaka CM tight-lipped about electoral strategy


MELAKA: Melaka Barisan Nasional is keeping its cards close to its chest ahead of the state election, expected to be held in October or early November.

Its chairman Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh declined to reveal the coalition's electoral strategy.

He also refused to confirm whether the state Barisan would replicate the solo contest formula adopted in the Johor state election, saying any decision would be announced at the appropriate time.

"I will answer that when the right day and time comes," he said on Monday (July 13).

Asked whether discussions had already taken place with any political parties ahead of the state polls, Ab Rauf again remained tight-lipped, choosing instead to reply with a metaphor.

"I prefer to say that I will harvest the fruit when it is ripe," he said.

Ab Rauf who is also the Melaka Chief Minister, however, acknowledged that Barisan's commanding victory in the Johor state election had sent a strong signal of changing voter sentiment.

He said the outcome reflected growing political maturity among the electorate, with voters no longer easily swayed by campaigns built on hatred, provocation or slander.

"Johor presented an outcome that many did not expect where every political party was confident it could capture Johor through its own approach, but the election results proved otherwise.

"The democratic political landscape demonstrated by the people of Johor reflects a level of political maturity that has moved away from the politics of hatred," he said.

Ab Rauf said the development should serve as a reflection of Melaka's political landscape, with voters assessing the government based on its performance and tangible achievements rather than perceptions shaped through social media.

"I am confident the local voters are capable of recognising that the current government's work has delivered positive results for the state's economy, tourism, investment and the well-being of its people," he added.

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Beefing up border security: Joint Home-Transport Ministry plan to be presented to Cabinet
More than 600 Border Control officers to be stationed at RTS' Bukit Chagar ICQ complex
TH probe not limited to 2014-2020 RCI period, says Anwar
Decision on extradition of pilot arrested in Indonesia pending probe, says Saifuddin
SST remains, but GST elements may be considered, says Anwar
Contractors urged to diversify into facility management sector, says Ahmad Maslan
RTS Link entering testing phase ahead of January launch, says Loke
Printing firm director remanded over alleged RM100,000 false claims
Sarawak to proceed with cloud seeding despite improved haze situation, says Uggah
Over 420,000 students to sit for SPM 2026 from Oct 26

Others Also Read