KUALA LUMPUR: The Dewan Rakyat Speaker’s Office has confirmed that it has received formal notification of the vacancies for the Pandan and Setiawangsa parliamentary seats.
“The resignation notices from Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad have been received,” an official from the Speaker’s Office said when contacted on Monday (May 18).
The official was responding to media queries on whether any formal notice had been submitted concerning vacancies in the two constituencies.
Earlier on Monday, Rafizi and Nik Nazmi said they had submitted their resignation letters to Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Johari Abdul.
“The proper and honourable step is to return the mandate to voters in Pandan and Setiawangsa, considering that we were elected under the Pakatan Harapan ticket in the last general election,” they said in a joint statement on Monday (May 18).
On Sunday (May 17), former Cabinet ministers Rafizi Ramli (economy) and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad (natural resources and environmental sustainability) announced they were leaving PKR to join Parti Bersama Malaysia.
They said their respective parliamentary seats for Pandan and Setiawangsa would be vacated with effect from Monday and that they would officially move to Parti Bersama Malaysia (Bersama) on Tuesday (May 19), ending their long-standing ties with PKR.
