Firefighters struggle to combat spreading Puncak Jalil hillside wildfire


KUALA LUMPUR: A hillside fire in Puncak Jalil, Seri Kembangan has spread to a larger area since it was first detected earlier on Wednesday (March 11) evening.

Selangor Fire and Rescue Department assistant director (Operations) Ahmad Mukhlis Mukhtar said as of 9pm, the blaze had spread across about five acres.

“Firefighting operations are still ongoing, with a total of 27 firefighters deployed at the scene.

“The operation involves personnel from the Seri Kembangan, Cyberjaya, Puchong, Subang Jaya and Penchala fire stations, using six fire engines and three ambulances,” he said in a statement on Wednesday night.

Ahmad Mukhlis said initial reports from the operations commander earlier in the evening indicated that the fire had affected about three acres of forested hillside.

He added that the fire has not involved any casualties or affected nearby residential structures or commercial premises.

The department received a distress call regarding the incident at 4.12pm, informing them of a hillside forest fire estimated to cover about 0.8 acres.

Based on information from officers at the scene, the affected area measured approximately 500m by 300m and has been divided into six sectors for firefighting operations.

Ahmad Mukhlis said the fire is about 150m from the nearest residential area, but a large drainage canal separates the two locations.

“We are currently carrying out a firebreak operation to prevent the flames from spreading to nearby residential areas,” he said.

The blaze can be clearly seen by motorists travelling along the Kuala Lumpur–Putrajaya Expressway (MEX) as the affected hillside is located beside the highway.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Focus must shift from job placement to graduate earning power, says Zambry
Yayasan PETRONAS Launches Sipitang STEM Hub To Empower Sabah Educators
Online Ihsan Rahmah 9.9 sale set for Sept 9, says Anwar
Johor police to dispose of RM40mil worth of seized drugs linked to 40,000 cases
MCA Youth lodges police report over death threats made against local influencer
Plans consented to by the King for Gerak Khas must not be altered, says Johor regent
Independent committee to study new higher education law to replace AUKU, says Zambry
Batu Gajah man arrested over viral kitten abuse video
Haze in Sarawak to persist as transboundary smoke drifts from Kalimantan
Johor cops seize nearly RM8mil worth of drugs, arrest nine in series of raids

Others Also Read