Sulu case: Paris court decision a major victory for Malaysia, says Azalina


KUALA LUMPUR: The decision by the Paris Court of Appeal to fully annul the "final award" in the claim by individuals purporting to be heirs of the so-called Sulu Sultanate over Sabah has been described as a major victory for Malaysia.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Law and Institutional Reform) Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said (pic) said the victory is not only a legal success but also a triumph of dignity, sovereignty and rights for all Malaysians, especially the people of Sabah.

"On behalf of the special secretariat war room on the Sulu case, I would like to express my highest appreciation to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, my fellow Cabinet members, the legal team of the Attorney General's Chambers, Wisma Putra, the Legal Affairs Division, the Prime Minister's Department and all government agencies that have worked hand in hand in carrying out this responsibility in the interest of the people and the nation.

"This proves the government's commitment to defending the country based on principles and the rule of law," she said in a Facebook post on Wednesday (Dec 10).

The Paris Court of Appeal fully annulled the "final award" issued by arbitrator Gonzalo Stampa on Feb 28, 2022, and ordered the Sulu claimants to pay costs amounting to €200,000 (RM960,000) to Malaysia.

The war room of the special secretariat on the Sulu Case, acting on behalf of the Malaysian government, confirmed that the Paris Court of Appeal decision was delivered on Dec 9 and that the government received the official judgment earlier this morning.

The court found that Stampa had no jurisdiction to issue the "final award" as there was no valid arbitration agreement binding Malaysia.

Earlier, the Paris Court of Appeal had rejected the recognition and enforcement of the "partial award" on June 6, 2023, and the French Court of Cassation upheld that decision on Nov 6, 2024.

Previously, eight Philippine nationals claiming to be heirs of the now-defunct Sulu Sultanate initiated arbitration proceedings in Spain, seeking billions in compensation from Malaysia over Sabah. – Malaysia

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two Malaysians detained in Thailand, illicit narcotics seized
First Malayan tiger to be released from NWRC into natural habitat
Mother in dazed state, unable to process death of husband and two children
GOF seizes RM31.7mil worth of minerals in Perak
Four men armed with machetes and pump gun-like object rob jewellery shop in Kuantan
Anwar arrives in Brunei for Annual Leaders' Consultation
Perhilitan captures 500kg crocodile in Sungai Linggi
Police have initiated five investigations over Tabung Haji issue, 127 questioned
Malaysia to use Asean diplomatic channels to address trans-boundary haze
Govt challenges Semantan valuer's Duta Enclave land valuation

Others Also Read