New sinkhole forces single-lane closure at KM78 of Jalan Gua Musang-Lojing


GUA MUSANG: A section of the road at KM78 of the Jalan Gua Musang-Lojing, near Kampung Jekjok at Pos Brooke, has been reduced to a single lane after a new sinkhole was detected on Sept 12.

Kelantan Public Works Department (JKR) director Nik Soh Yaacoub said this latest incident occurred on a plantation access road near the affected area.

"According to a report from the Gua Musang JKR office, a new sinkhole has appeared at the same location, measuring 15m in length and approximately 0.1m deep.

"As a result, one lane of the route from Gua Musang to Tanah Tinggi Lojing has been closed to all vehicles," he told Bernama Tuesday (Sept 16).

He explained that while the Gua Musang-Lojing road has two lanes in each direction, traffic in both directions is now limited to only one lane each.

Nik Soh clarified that the sinkhole is believed to have been caused by underground water flow and issues with a nearby culvert, with persistent heavy rainfall increasing the risk of subsidence.

He added that JKR is continuously monitoring the area and has implemented a Traffic Management Plan to ensure safety.

Meanwhile, Gua Musang police chief, Supt Sik Choon Foo, advised motorists to exercise caution when using the affected route.

He noted that the area is dark and hazardous at night, and advised drivers to slow down to prevent accidents.

Since last year, five sinkholes have occurred at KM78 of Jalan Gua Musang-Lojing. The first two were detected on Nov 23 and Dec 12, 2024, followed by March 15 and Aug 7 this year, with the most recent on Sept 12. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read