Gerik bus crash: School to prepare report on teacher's offensive remarks on students' deaths, says state govt


IPOH: The Perak Education Department has instructed a school to prepare a full report concerning one of its teachers, who allegedly posted offensive remarks on social media about the recent tragic accident which claimed the lives of 15 Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI) students, on the East-West Highway (JRTB).

State education, higher education, youth and sports committee chairman Khairudin Abu Hanipah said that a full report would be prepared by the principal of the secondary school involved, in accordance with the circulars issued by the Education Ministry.

He said that initial investigations confirmed that the Facebook account responsible for the insensitive post belonged to a teacher at the school.

"As an educator, I deeply regret the actions of this individual, who made inappropriate remarks regarding the tragic incident involving the UPSI students,” he said.

He added that following the viral post, the District Education Office (PPD) immediately contacted the school principal, while the PPD counsellor reached out to the teacher to remove the content.

"A check conducted at 8.10pm yesterday confirmed that the post had been deleted,” he told Bernama when contacted on Wednesday (June 11).

Earlier, a Facebook post by an account bearing the name ‘Khalid Yunus’ sparked public outrage, after alleging that the 15 UPSI students who died in the tragic accident had "died in disgrace". The post further claimed that the victims were not among the faithful, as they had passed away while still owing debt to the National Higher Education Fund Corporation (PTPTN).

However, the post has since been deleted, and the teacher involved has issued a public apology, claiming to suffer from schizophrenia.

In the early Monday (June 9) morning incident, 15 UPSI students lost their lives when the bus they were travelling in overturned at KM53 of JRTB, near Tasik Banding, Gerik.- Bernama

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Court sets Feb 22 to decide on Daim family's bid to challenge account seizures
Aliff Syukri wins bid to defer apology to Abdul Kadir Sheikh Fadzir
PERKESO calls on media to submit their best work for iLINDUNG Media Awards
Nepturis paid RM16mil for building Klang Utara police headquarters, court told
Divisions never submitted motion demanding chief to quit, says Gagasan women’s wing
Pahang police deny claims of drug cartel in highland resort
Govt targets 50% reduction in road accident deaths by 2030
Health Minister defends transfer of Sabah hospital director amid harassment probe
Court upholds septuagenarian's 15-year jail term, caning for raping 8-year-old girl
Dr M welcomes first great-grandchild

Others Also Read