Gerik bus crash: Company's permit revoked with immediate effect, says Loke


KUALA LUMPUR: The Transport Ministry has revoked the vehicle permit of the bus owner involved in the recent UPSI bus crash, says Transport Minister Anthony Loke

He said the decision was made based on an early investigation that found the operator, based in Kedah, had loaned the bus to a different individual in Kelantan for RM500 per month.

He added that this violated the vehicle permit regulations.

Loke also said that the bus owner failed to provide GPS data report when asked by the authorities because the device was not activated during operation.

“These two requirements were clearly not met by the operator.

“Therefore, all vehicle permits owned by the operator will be revoked, and any appeal made would not be accepted,” he said.

Meanwhile, Loke said that a database compiling bus drivers' data would be established.

He said that the database would show the drivers’ information, which will be developed by the Land Transport Agency (Apad).

He added this database would show blacklisted drivers who had previous convictions records or offences.

“Currently, there is no such system available for operators to refer to when hiring drivers,” he told reporters here on Wednesday (June 11).

He said this would also empower operators to do a background check on their prospective employees.

Loke attended the weekly post-Cabinet meeting alongside Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil and Works Minister Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi.

Alexander said that the Works Ministry had allocated funds for upgrade works at the East-West Highway from 2023.

“The highway has reached its optimum age and requires upgrading,” he said, adding that the road was constructed as early as 1967.

Alexander said that he had previously approved RM30mil in 2023 for the upgrade and maintenance of several critical sections of the highway.

He said this included improving the road pavement and street lights, among others.

He also said that in 2024, another RM7.2mil was allocated for repairs at other road sections on the highway.

“This year, RM55mil of funds were allocated to repair the roads involved in any accident-prone areas at the highway,” he said, adding that this phase has yet to commence as more studies need to be done.

Fahmi also announced that the Cabinet had agreed to deliver an additional RM10,000 for the family of victims who perished in the crash and RM5,000 for those who sustained injuries.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Court sets Feb 22 to decide on Daim family's bid to challenge account seizures
Aliff Syukri wins bid to defer apology to Abdul Kadir Sheikh Fadzir
PERKESO calls on media to submit their best work for iLINDUNG Media Awards
Nepturis paid RM16mil for building Klang Utara police headquarters, court told
Divisions never submitted motion demanding chief to quit, says Gagasan women’s wing
Pahang police deny claims of drug cartel in highland resort
Govt targets 50% reduction in road accident deaths by 2030
Health Minister defends transfer of Sabah hospital director amid harassment probe
Court upholds septuagenarian's 15-year jail term, caning for raping 8-year-old girl
Dr M welcomes first great-grandchild

Others Also Read