Pahang police deny claims of drug cartel in highland resort


KUANTAN: Pahang police have denied viral claims on social media that a large-scale drug cartel is operating in a highland resort in Pahang without any enforcement action being taken.

Acting Pahang police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Azry Akmar Ayob said police would conduct an investigation and take appropriate action if such illegal activity was detected.

"If a police report involving illegal activity is lodged, we will immediately investigate and take appropriate action, regardless of the location," he told a press conference at the Pahang police contingent headquarters here Monday (Aug 17).

Earlier, DCP Azry Akmar witnessed the handover of duties for the Pahang Crime Prevention and Community Safety Department (JPJKK) chief post from Asst Comm Muhammed Rizal Kamarudin to Senior Asst Comm Ahmad Sukarno Mohd Zahar.

In a recent post on Threads, a social media user claimed that a large-scale drug cartel was operating in the popular tourist destination.

The social media user claimed that no action had been taken despite several police reports being lodged.

In another development, Azry Akmar said the tanker driver involved in the accident that claimed two lives at KM9, Jalan Temerloh-Triang, near Kampung Lebak last Friday (Aug 14), would be remanded until Tuesday (Aug 18).

"The investigation paper will be referred to the Deputy Public Prosecutor's Office today (for further action)," he said.

DCP Azry Akmar said the 37-year-old driver was being investigated under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for causing death by reckless or dangerous driving.

"The identities of both victims were confirmed through deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) testing as Nur Fatima Abdullah, 39, and her son, Muhamad Fattah Aisy Nuafal Saifulnizam, 12," he said.

The media reported that Nur Fatima and her son were burnt to death after the car they were travelling in was hit by a tanker carrying 32,000 litres of diesel and petrol, causing it to catch fire, while the driver escaped with minor injuries. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Police , Azry Akmar Ayob , drug cartel , deny , remand , Pahang

Next In Nation

Divisions never submitted motion demanding chief to quit, says Gagasan women’s wing
Govt targets 50% reduction in road accident deaths by 2030
Health Minister defends transfer of Sabah hospital director amid harassment probe
Court upholds septuagenarian's 15-year jail term, caning for raping 8-year-old girl
Dr M welcomes first great-grandchild
Health autonomy, staff appointments related to MA63 being discussed with Sabah, says Dzulkefly
Kulai factory ordered to close over upside-down Jalur Gemilang blunder
Penang tightens guidelines around worker quarters in residential areas
Bahrain GP: RM200 Madani tickets sold out, says Youth and Sports Minister
Alam Damai house razed in fire believed to have started from charging EV

Others Also Read