KOTA KINABALU: The Health Ministry hopes to address issues of Sabah’s health autonomy, redundancy of authority, harmonising authority, appointment of staff, facilities and training in the ongoing discussions relating to the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63).
Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said these matters are among issues under intense discussion in the ministry with Sabah.
He said these are within the topics of interest under the MA63 claims for Sabah, which are being discussed in the five subcommittees alongside the joint action committee meeting.
Other than that, he said the ministry was working with the Sabah Health Department to realise plans including the smooth commencement of the Sabah Heart Centre, refurbishment of hospitals, addressing manpower concerns and improving the overall state healthcare system.
“We are happy to announce that our discussions are having positive results and we are now focusing on efforts to realise and implement these plans,” Dzulkefly said at the Sabah Health Development Joint Action Committee meeting on Monday (Aug 17).
The meeting was also attended by state Women, Health and People's Wellbeing Minister Datuk Julita Majungki, among others.
He said under the 13th Malaysian Plan, several high impact projects worth RM1.57bil have been approved for healthcare in Sabah, comprising 46 ongoing ones and seven new projects.
“Among these are the RM125mil Sabah Heart Centre which is expected to start work by the end of 2027, and be completed within two and a half years, with its manpower shortage to be addressed,” said Dzulkefly.
There will also be a RM81.95mil Type 5 Health Clinic to be built in Sapulut, Nabawan involving the construction of health facilities and workers quarters to allow better healthcare access to rural folks, he said.
Touching on shortage of manpower woes, he said as of Aug 1, a total of 607 new postings including 77 specialists, 203 medical officials across various units and 25 under the execution or implementing groups, have been filled in Sabah.
Earlier, Dzulkefly said the ministry’s work visit to Sabah from Aug 14 to 18, saw him and his team visiting the Tambunan, Ranau and Kota Belud hospitals to better understand the situations faced by patients and healthcare workers.
With that, he approved an allocation of RM4.3mil for upgrading works, rebuilding old and dilapidated canteens, and top up medical supplies and equipment among other things for these hospitals.
“An outpatient department project which had been abandoned for nine years at the Tambunan Hospital will be cancelled to make way for a new hospital as replacement,” he said.
Dzulkefly said RM988,000 will be used to upgrade the Emergency Department and repair the canteen at the Tambunan Hospital as well, while RM1.279mil is approved for Ranau’s hospital and RM2.01mil is for upgrading works at the Kota Belud Hospital.
