Gerik crash: Cops advise bus driver not to make public comments


IPOH: Police have advised the driver of the bus carrying Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI) students, which resulted in a fatal crash claiming 15 lives, to refrain from making any public comments until a formal statement is recorded, says Comm Datuk Noor Hisam Nordin.

The Perak police chief stated that premature statements could disrupt the ongoing investigation.

ALSO READ: Gerik bus crash: Fire Dept identifies 15 UPSI students killed

"This is a highly sensitive case involving many parties, and we urge the bus driver to wait for the proper process to take place.

"He has every right to speak, but patience is key in such sensitive cases.

"Many technical aspects such as road conditions, vehicle operators, and more are still being examined," he said at a press conference at the state police contingent headquarters today (June 11).

Comm Noor Hisam mentioned that they have yet to record a statement from the driver, who is still admitted at Taiping Hospital for injuries to his hand.

ALSO READ: Fahmi: Tread carefully with Gerik crash online content

He noted that there are still many questions surrounding the bus driver. Regarding the driver’s health condition, Comm Noor Hisam said the investigating officer is closely monitoring the situation with the hospital.

"Based on what we observed, his arm injury stretches from the pinky finger to the elbow. However, we will await an official medical report.

"We are waiting for the hospital to discharge him, and have sent his blood sample to the Chemistry Department for analysis," he said.

He added that so far, police have recorded statements from 18 individuals, including 13 UPSI students who have been discharged, the multi-purpose vehicle driver, his wife, two forensic doctors from Gerik Hospital, and the witness with the dashcam footage.

He stated that investigations are ongoing with multiple agencies like the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research, Chemistry Departments (Petaling Jaya and Perak), Public Works Department, the Land Public Transport Agency, and the police’s drone unit.

ALSO READ: ‘Body fell on me after I was flung out’

When asked if the dashcam footage confirmed to be from the actual crash, Comm Noor Hisam said the matter was still under investigation. He mentioned that the video is unclear and needs expert analysis, and its authenticity will be verified by the experts.

"We will send the footage for analysis, which is under another agency’s jurisdiction," he said.

Regarding initial findings from the vehicle inspections by Puspakom, he said the report is not out yet, and all collected data is being analysed by the relevant agencies.

On whether any police reports have been lodged about offensive posts regarding the incident on social media, Comm Noor Hisam said so far no reports have been lodged.

However, he urged netizens to be sensitive and avoid making sensational or defamatory remarks.

"This is a tragedy, and sympathy, not blame, is what is needed. We have a team monitoring this. If any post crosses the line or a report is lodged, we will take appropriate action," he added.

The crash occurred between 12.30am and 1am on Monday (June 9) when a chartered bus travelling from Jertih to Tanjung Malim overturned after colliding with a Perodua Alza on the East-West Highway near Gerik.

The crash also left 33 others injured, including the bus driver, his assistant, and the driver and three passengers of the MPV.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Pakatan leaders to meet to discuss outcomes of PKR congress, DAP conference, says Fahmi
Singapore to halt construction waste exports to Malaysia, says SWCorp
Nation's six per cent GDP growth benefits must be felt by the people, says Fahmi
MACC seeks local woman to assist in probe
Decline in fertility rate due to late marriage, rising cost of living or postponement of pregnancy
Rapper Caprice ordered to apologise to preacher Ebit Lew, pay RM220,000 in damages
Court sets Feb 22 to decide on Daim family's bid to challenge account seizures
Aliff Syukri wins bid to defer apology to Abdul Kadir Sheikh Fadzir
PERKESO calls on media to submit their best work for iLINDUNG Media Awards
Nepturis paid RM16mil for building Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Others Also Read