Gerik bus crash: Tourism ministry calls for return of regulatory power over sector's transportation


PUTRAJAYA: The Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry called for the return of regulatory powers over tourism transportation to the ministry following the tragic bus accident that claimed the lives of 15 Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI) students in Gerik on Monday (June 9).

It stated that the accident was not only a serious road tragedy but also exposed deep issues within Malaysia's tourism transport safety system.

According to the statement, the incident has raised international concerns among those involved in tourism and student exchange programs from Asean, the Middle East, China, Japan and South Korea, leading to a lack of confidence in the country's tourism transport safety assurance mechanisms.

"The threat to confidence in these transport mechanisms comes as Malaysia is actively preparing for Visit Malaysia Year 2026 (VMY2026), thereby raising doubts about Malaysia's tourism safety image in the international market," the statement said on Wednesday (June 11).

The ministry said that the regulatory power, which was formerly under the ministry through the Tourism Vehicles Licensing Act 1999 (Act 594), had been transferred to the Land Public Transport Agency (APAD).

"After this transfer of power, no comprehensive regulatory framework encompassing tourism service features, tourist safety requirements, and international standards could be established. This has resulted in the current regulatory void," the statement said.

It announced that from the end of this month until August, over 500 international exchange students are scheduled to arrive in Malaysia for exchange programmes in Sabah.

"Facing the uncertainty of the current tourism transport safety system, many collaborating units and institutions have re-evaluated their original plans.

"If tourism transport safety cannot be guaranteed, not only will educational exchange programs be affected, but Malaysia's position as a regional tourism hub will also be threatened," the statement read.

The ministry said that previously, the ministry had proposed several reform measures, including a daily driving limit of eight hours for tourism bus drivers, two drivers for long-distance journeys, mandatory rest during travel, urine tests before starting a journey, a Global Positioning System (GPS) tracking system, and mandatory insurance.

"However, because we do not hold direct regulatory power, these measures have yet to be fully implemented, and the risks to tourists continue.

The ministry called on all relevant parties, especially the Transport Ministry to take immediate action to address the existing regulatory gaps and expedite the process of returning regulatory power over tourism transportation.

"Only in this way can we rebuild Malaysia's image as a safe and reliable tourism destination, on par with international standards, ensuring that visitors, including academic exchange groups, can enjoy their experience with full confidence," the statement concluded.- Bernama

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Tanjung Embang recommended as site for New Kuching International Airport
Labuan fishing vessel owners lodge police report over lorry arson, vandalism
Gold Li Holdings Bhd celebrates successful ACE Market entry
Almost 170 tonnes of frozen meat seized in Kajang
Kuching Urban Transportation System to start pilot run in Q4
Semiconductor supply chains stable despite disruptions, says Amir Hamzah
Boat carrying migrants sinks near Selangor; three missing
Alma residents worried by blackened water, dead fish at retention pond
Cameron flower growers’ woes to be looked into, says Mat Sabu
PM hails deepening Malaysia-India ties, pledges to strengthen relations

Others Also Read