LABUAN: The Labuan Commercial Fishing Vessel Owners’ Association has lodged a police report following a series of suspected arson and vandalism incidents involving two lorries, with losses estimated at more than RM100,000.
Its chairman, Peter Chi Kain Sang, said the association was deeply concerned over the repeated incidents, which saw one lorry completely burnt, while another was about 10% fire-damaged and had several cables also cut, leaving the vehicle unable to operate.
He said the association had offered a RM10,000 reward to anyone who could provide credible information to assist the police investigation.
"This is the first such incident in years… we have discussed the matter and tried to come to a conclusion, but at this stage, we do not have anyone to suspect or anything that could clearly point to the cause of the incidents.
"So far, we do not see any suspicion involving players in the fisheries industry…we will leave it to the police to investigate," he told a press conference here on Monday (May 18).
Chi said one incident occurred at about 9pm on Wednesday (May 13) at Jalan Ujung Pasir near the old fisheries jetty, where the lorry was parked.
He said another incident took place near the Fisheries Development Authority of Malaysia (LKIM) Complex parking area in Kiamsam, while the third incident occurred at Jalan Ujung Pasir on Sunday (May 17), involving a different lorry that was completely burnt.
He said the recurring incidents had caused concern among commercial fishing operators, as lorries were essential in supporting the movement of fisheries products, supplies and related logistics activities.
Meanwhile, Labuan acting OCPD Deputy Supt Robin @ Ridzuan Ismail confirmed that police had received a report on the matter and had opened an investigation under Section 435 of the Penal Code.
He urged anyone with information to come forward to help. – Bernama
