Boat carrying migrants sinks near Selangor; three missing


SHAH ALAM: A search operation is on for three missing migrants after a 'pom-pom' boat carrying 19 people reportedly sprang a leak before sinking 2.1 nautical miles southwest of Sungai Apong in Sabak Bernam on Saturday (May 16).

Selangor Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) director Maritime Captain Abdul Muhaimin Muhammad Salleh said the agency received an emergency call from a boat crew member at 4.45am.

"Our first asset, Penggalang Boat 41, which arrived at the location, reported that the vessel had completely sunk at 9am after efforts to control the heavy water intake failed.

"So far, 16 victims have been rescued while the remaining three are still missing, prompting the search radius to be expanded to locate them as quickly as possible," he said in a statement here on Monday.

Abdul Muhaimin said the maritime vessel Bagan Datuk was also deployed to strengthen early intervention efforts within the emergency zone.

He said the rescued victims comprised 10 men, including two Bangladeshis and eight Indonesians, as well as six Indonesian women aged between 24 and 50.

"Initial investigations found that all the victims were first assisted by a local fishing vessel that was near the incident area before being handed over to enforcement assets that arrived later.

"We have also activated a Forward Search and Rescue Base at Jeti Kelong Paradise, which serves as the main command centre to coordinate logistics strategies and personnel movement," he said.

Entering its third day on Monday, Abdul Muhaimin said the search operation began at 7am with the joint involvement of the Marine Police Force and the Fire and Rescue Department, covering an area of 236 square nautical miles. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Kuching Urban Transportation System to start pilot run in Q4
Semiconductor supply chains stable despite disruptions, says Amir Hamzah
Alma residents worried by blackened water, dead fish at retention pond
Authorities urged to probe company giving aesthetic treatment courses in hotels
Over half of Kedah's padi fields now at ploughing stage, says Mat Sabu
Phones belonging to Zara Qairina and mother among those analysed, court told
Johor JPJ seizes 44 luxury vehicles
District police chief in Sarawak under investigation for sexual harassment
Home Ministry seeks RM4.3mil to upgrade GOF 3rd Battalion Camp
Sabah STAR reps urged to clarify stance after Kaamatan event with Warisan's Shafie

Others Also Read