Man charged with sexual abuse of 11-year-old foster sister


MELAKA: A 28-year-old mechanic claimed trial at the Sessions Court in Ayer Keroh here to a charge of sexually abusing a young girl.

The accused entered the plea after the charge was read out before judge Haderiah Siri yesterday.

According to the charge, the 11-year-old victim is the foster child of the accused’s mother.

The offence was allegedly committed at an address located in Batu 5, Batang Tiga, Tanjung Kling, here at 7am in February last year.

The charge was framed under Section 14(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017 which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years’ imprisonment and whipping upon conviction.

During the proceedings, deputy public prosecutor Wan Abdullah Wan Rodzlah requested that bail be set at RM20,000, with the condition that the accused must not disturb the victim or witnesses, report to the nearest police station once a month and surrender his international passport.

Lawyer Umar Zulkarnain, representing the accused, appealed for a lower bail amount for his client.

The court later granted the accused bail of RM8,000 with one surety and imposed the additional conditions requested by the prosecution.

The case is fixed for mention on June 9.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star

Others Also Read