Socso putting brakes on highly suspicious hospitals


KUALA LUMPUR: While the Social Security Organisation’s (Socso) claims system will undergo revamp, authorities have put the brakes on claims coming from “highly suspicious” hospitals to put a stop to false disability claims, says Steven Sim.

The Human Resource Minister said this was a temporary measure while the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission and Health Ministry carry out a probe on fraudulent Socso claims.

ALSO READ: Dubious disabilities, duping doctors

“As of Tuesday night, one of the hospitals involved has been prevented from claiming,” he said during a press conference at Menara Perkeso.

The minister, however, did not reveal the locations of these hospitals in question but said that this measure had been implemented since June.

On the overhaul of the claims process, Sim said the directive was issued to prevent false claims in the future.

“A new standard operation procedure (SOP) is being prepared and will be announced soon. We take all claims submitted to Socso seriously. We do not want to victimise contributors who are genuinely eligible and need the benefits in times of hardship,” he said.

Listen here: Sim (centre) answering questions during the press conference at Menara Perkeso, Kuala Lumpur. He is flanked by Socso CEO Datuk Seri Dr Mohammed Azman Aziz Mohammed (right) and his political secretary Dr Kelvin Yii. — AZHAR MAHFOF/The Star
Listen here: Sim (centre) answering questions during the press conference at Menara Perkeso, Kuala Lumpur. He is flanked by Socso CEO Datuk Seri Dr Mohammed Azman Aziz Mohammed (right) and his political secretary Dr Kelvin Yii. — AZHAR MAHFOF/The Star

However, he pointed out the need to enhance the check and balance mechanism to close gaps that exist in the claims process.

This includes doctors, who, as part of the claiming process, would verify medical reports received from claimants, he said.

Sim added that the crackdown on the fraudulent activities would continue.

“There will be no compromise on any form of fraud and abuse of power,” he said.

Earlier yesterday, remand orders were issued against three doctors in Penang and 30 other suspects for making fraudulent disability claims to Socso.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

GOF seizes RM31.7mil worth of minerals in Perak
Four men armed with machetes and pump gun-like object rob jewellery shop in Kuantan
Anwar arrives in Brunei for Annual Leaders' Consultation
Perhilitan captures 500kg crocodile in Sungai Linggi
Police have initiated five investigations over Tabung Haji issue, 127 questioned
Malaysia to use Asean diplomatic channels to address trans-boundary haze
Govt challenges Semantan valuer's Duta Enclave land valuation
Approximately 80% of Malaysian users turn to TikTok for learning, culture and well-being
Cops seize RM12.8mil in smuggled booze and ciggies during two Klang Valley raids
Thorough consideration needed before forming political alliances, says BN chief

Others Also Read