Socso: Gig workers' social security protection activated after registration, first task


KUALA LUMPUR: Social security protection for gig workers under the Gig Workers Act 2025 (Act 872) will take effect once they have registered with a platform provider and accepted their first task.

The Social Security Organisation (Socos), in a statement on Tuesday (May 19), said the postpaid protection mechanism provides one-year coverage for gig workers upon fulfilling the two initial prerequisites.

According to Socso, the approach was outlined during the tabling of the Gig Workers Bill 2025 for second reading in the Dewan Rakyat, to address concerns among workers earning part-time income.

"Socso protection status remains active after the two initial prerequisites are fulfilled, even if gig workers do not receive bookings for several days or have not yet paid the minimum monthly contribution of RM13.10.

"Socso remains committed to facilitating and addressing any bureaucratic red tape in the enforcement of Act 872 to ensure that the rights of gig workers are protected, particularly in obtaining social security protection," the statement said.

The statement was issued in response to media reports on concerns raised by Persatuan Rakan Penghantar Melaka regarding guarantees and protection under the Lindung Kendiri scheme.

Socso explained that Section 83(e) of Act 872 imposes an obligation on platform providers to inform gig workers of the need to pay the shortfall in the minimum monthly contribution.

The provision applies if the contribution deducted by the platform provider does not meet the minimum contribution rate for the selected insured, based on the insured's monthly earnings under the Self-Employment Social Security Act 2017.

To facilitate monitoring, Socso said gig workers can also check their accumulated contributions and protection status through the Prihatin application. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Socso , gig worker , protection , postpaid

Next In Nation

Four teenagers attack e-hailing driver in Melaka over fare
Sun bear sparks fear in Jertih village after livestock attacks
Woman dies in Sandakan house fire
Dead elephant discovered in Sabah forest reserve with head hacked off
Court to deliver verdict in former Sabah water dept director graft case today
Malaysia launches AP-UAP at World Urban Forum
Retired policeman found dead in Melaka home
Pipe burst in Butterworth disrupts water supply in Penang
722,151 travellers use Penang airport’s new autogate system since end of December last year
Signs of change on the streets

Others Also Read