Docs remanded two days in probe of fake Socso claims


GEORGE TOWN: A total of 33 people including three doctors from separate hospitals in Penang have been remanded here for allegedly falsifying RM2.1mil worth of Social Security Organisation (Socso) disability claims since 2017.

The doctors, aged 36, 50, and 57, were remanded for two days while 30 others comprising 19 private sector employees, eight agents and three runners aged 26 to 60 were remanded between one and three days by a Magistrate's Court here on Wednesday (Sept 4).

ALSO READ: Three doctors, 30 others remanded for falsifying Perkeso claims

They were arrested by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) on Tuesday (Sept 3) to facilitate investigations under Section 18 of the MACC Act 2009 for submission of false claims.

It is understood that the doctors, who are orthopaedic specialists, are from two public hospitals in Bukit Mertajam and Seberang Jaya while the other is with a private hospital in Butterworth.

The Health Ministry, in a statement, expressed its willingness to cooperate with the investigation and gave its assurance that no instances of abuse of power would be tolerated.

The arrests came after Penang Senator Dr RA Lingeshwaran called on the government, particularly the Human Resources Ministry, to explain the alleged suspension of senior doctors handling Socso disability claims purportedly linked to a cartel in the state.

ALSO READ: Senior docs' arrest: Health Ministry assures MACC of full cooperation

Dr Lingeshawaran was said to have told the Dewan Negara that the panel was suspended until further notice after Socso discovered the alleged racket at a hospital in Penang.

Lingeshwaran, a former director of Hospital Sungai Bakap, said he understood that the cartel was lobbying for the suspended doctor to return to work at the same hospital.

He claimed that there had been 683 fraudulent withdrawals from 2018 to 2022 involving approximately RM43mil, 16 of which involved a doctor whose services had been terminated after the activities were uncovered.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

First Malayan tiger to be released from NWRC into natural habitat
Mother in dazed state, unable to process death of husband and two children
GOF seizes RM31.7mil worth of minerals in Perak
Four men armed with machetes and pump gun-like object rob jewellery shop in Kuantan
Anwar arrives in Brunei for Annual Leaders' Consultation
Perhilitan captures 500kg crocodile in Sungai Linggi
Police have initiated five investigations over Tabung Haji issue, 127 questioned
Malaysia to use Asean diplomatic channels to address trans-boundary haze
Govt challenges Semantan valuer's Duta Enclave land valuation
Approximately 80% of Malaysian users turn to TikTok for learning, culture and well-being

Others Also Read