Another doctor in MACC’s crosshairs over claim scam


PUTRAJAYA: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is tracking down another doctor in its investigation into allegations of falsified Social Security Organisation disability claims in Penang.

MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki said the doctor is employed at a Penang hospital.

ALSO READ: Dubious disabilities, duping doctors

“An arrest will be made soon,” he said yesterday, adding that 19 cases related to such claims have been uncovered so far.

Three doctors were among 33 people remanded for one to three days starting yesterday under Section 18 of the MACC Act 2009.

Magistrate Nadratun Naim Mohd Saidi issued the remand order.

The individuals were detained yesterday after providing statements at the Penang MACC office.

The false claims made since 2017 amount to about RM2.1mil.

In a separate development, Azam announced that the MACC is tracking down an Immigration Department officer to assist in its Ops Setting investigation at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), Bernama reported.

Azam said the person in question holds significant influence among Immigration officers involved in the syndicate, despite not holding a high-ranking position.

“He fled as soon as the operation began, and we believe he is still in the country,” he said.

On Aug 29, Azam reported that 13 people, including two enforcement officers at KLIA, had been arrested for suspected involvement in a syndicate facilitating the illegal entry of foreign nationals through specific immigration counters.

On Aug 28, a Myanmar national who acted as a syndicate agent was charged in the Sessions Court under Section 16(b)(B) of the MACC Act 2009 with bribing an Immigration officer with RM5,650 to allow the entry of nine people from Myanmar through KLIA2 without following established Immigration procedures.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Prioritise welfare of police personnel, says Dr Wan Azizah
Traffic slows on major expressways as at noon
Building tech ecosystem to help Perak SMEs compete
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Body of drowned Chinese national found
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah

Others Also Read