UM dept says will improve vetting to ensure no repeat of Gilley controversy


PETALING JAYA: Universiti Malaya’s (UM) International and Strategic Studies Department has issued an apology over provocative remarks made by American academic Bruce Gilley during a lecture at the university.

“The department is very regretful about the irresponsible statement made by Professor Dr Bruce Gilley.

ALSO READ: UM to tighten processes, guidelines after Gilley controversy

“With deepest regret, the department apologises to all Malaysian citizens, the Malaysian government, the Higher Education Ministry and all the UM community over this incident,” it said.

The department also said it is taking this matter seriously and will improve its programme vetting, planning, and organising process to ensure the platform provided will not be manipulated by anyone in the future.

In a lecture titled “Will Malaysia Become an Active Middle Power” at UM on Tuesday (April 23), Gilley allegedly downplayed Malaysia’s ties with the United States.

The political science professor from Portland State University was also criticised on social media after he purportedly claimed that Malaysia had pushed for a “second holocaust against the Jewish people” in the same lecture.

ALSO READ: All events with US academician Bruce Gilley ordered to be cancelled, says Zambry

The Higher Education Ministry has since ordered the cancellation of all programmes and activities scheduled to involve Gilley in the country.

UM was also ordered to investigate and report on the details to the ministry.

However, Higher Education Minister Datuk Seri Zambry Abdul Kadir had previously said they would not pursue further action against Gilley as he had already left the country.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Thousands affected as overnight downpour triggers Paitan floods
Three rural areas in Sabah declared disaster zones after floods
Severe rain warning issued for several areas in Sabah
INTERACTIVE: A peek into the balik kampung exodus
MMA calls for stronger action against illegal clinics in Kuala Lumpur
The hidden struggle of M’sian women stranded in Lombok
Stable meal prices despite festive rush
Three fined RM128.9mil over 1,000 wildlife parts
Light bites draw crowds at Bertam bazaar
Court orders preacher to pay KJ RM830k in damages

Others Also Read