4,500 film industry workers to get Socso coverage, says HR Minister


Photo: Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR: Some 4,500 film industry practitioners are set to get social security coverage following a memorandum of understanding (MOU) signed between the Social Security Organisation (Socso) and the National Film Development Corporation Malaysia (Finas).

Human Resources Minister Steven Sim said this brings the coverage amount to RM104,850 for the 4,500 recipients, which works out to RM232.80 for each recipient a year.

He said the government would bear 90% of each recipient’s Socso contributions, and Finas would pay the remaining 10%.

“Following this, any companies looking to renew their filming licence with Finas must also make Socso contributions for crew members,” he said in his speech at the signing between Socso and Finas here on Tuesday (April 23).

The MOU was signed by Socso chief executive officer Datuk Seri Dr Mohammed Azman Aziz Mohammed and his Finas counterpart, Datuk Azmir Saifuddin Mutalib.

Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil, who was also present, said a standard contract requiring Socso contributions from film casts and crew is in the pipeline.

“This is a big step in helping those in the creative industry. We always talk about the cast but not the crew,” he said.

“The standard contract will be announced sometime in the middle of the year. Finas will make the full announcement,” Fahmi told a press conference after the MOU signing.

Separately, Fahmi said legislation overseeing the music industry was also in the works.

He said this would also involve those running recording studios, sound engineers and more.

“Right now, there is no (legal provision) for them, like there is for the film industry.

“We are studying this, and it will take time,” he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Using agricultural land for retirement plan and agrotourism hotspot
Bersatu issues loyalty ultimatum to MPs and reps
Authorities crack down on visa misuse for haj
Turtles face floating plastic threat
Retired pharmacist spreads joy through the art of clowning
Sanusi’s sedition trial to go on after bid rejected
‘Don’t neglect cash users’
66.7kg of Johor mee goreng sets world record
Extremism a ticking time bomb, warn experts
Weatherproofing tourism

Others Also Read