KUALA LUMPUR: The sexual harassment probe said to involve the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) director-general is believed to be in its final stages, with statements recorded from three individuals.
It is learnt police have recorded statements from the complainant, the suspect said to be a director-general of a government agency, and a special officer.
"We recorded the suspect's statement for about two hours on Thursday (Nov 23)," Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said.
"We also had to record the statement of his special officer to verify a meeting between the suspect and the complainant," he told a press conference in Bukit Aman on Friday (Nov 24).
Comm Mohd Shuhaily said police also seized the suspect's mobile phone in the course of the investigation.
"We are investigating the case under Sections 509, 507A, 292 of the Penal Code and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
"We are in the final stages of the investigation and we expect to refer the investigation paper to the Attorney-General's Chambers soon," he said.
ALSO READ: Cops start probing sex harassment claim
It was reported that Bukit Aman had begun investigating a sexual harassment allegation against the head of a government agency.
It is learnt that a financial consultant in her 30s lodged a police report last week alleging that the suspect had been harassing her via WhatsApp.
The woman said she initially approached the suspect over a prospective investment opportunity in November last year before the alleged harassment began.
She also claimed that the suspect had asked her to go to hotels and karaoke centres a few times but she rejected him.
She claimed that his advances became stronger since August as he sent her several indecent photos via text messaging.
A photo of the police report said to have been lodged by the woman went viral on social media.
It was later reported that the MMEA said the director-general's office would cooperate fully with the police probe.