Mindef housing project in Sg Besi to be ready by late 2024, says Tok Mat


KUALA LUMPUR: The "Satu Anggota, Satu Rumah" (Sasar) housing project or Residensi Sateria in Sungai Besi for Defence Ministry personnel is expected to be completed by late 2024, says Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

The Defence Minister said the project is currently 6% behind schedule, and Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) had allowed a three-hour daily extension until 8pm for work at the construction site.

ALSO READ: Hisham: 12,000 homes to be built under Mindef housing plan

"Currently the project is 21% finished but it was supposed to (be further ahead) by now.

"The project started in March 2021, but was delayed due to a lack of workers and building materials during the movement control order (MCO)," he told a press conference after visiting the sales gallery for the project in Sungai Besi on Wednesday (Jan 25).

The Sasar Sungai Besi project will comprise 3,500 housing units in five blocks, he said.

"The project is one of the ministry's main thrusts in ensuring the welfare of all personnel is looked after.

"It is in line with our plans as stated in the Defence White Paper, to provide affordable and comfortable housing for our personnel," he said.

Despite the delay, Mohamad said he was confident the project will be completed and handed over to the ministry on time.

Asked if the project could be disrupted because of Putrajaya's cost-saving efforts, Mohamad said it did not involve government funds.

"The ministry has several plots of land and (this site) is being used for the benefit of ministry personnel in line with our goals in the White Paper," he added.

ALSO READ: Budget 2023: Defence Ministry gets RM17.4bil allocation

On another matter, he said the ministry had done a recalibration of its own budget ahead of Budget 2023, which will be re-tabled on Feb 24.

"We based (the exercise) on priority, where some areas require additional funds such as operational expenditure (OE) and asset procurement.

"The ministry secretary-general has also outlined our wish list. We hope all our requests will be approved. If not all, we would be grateful for OE to be approved," he said.

Under Budget 2023 tabled last year, the defence allocation was RM17.4bil.

However, Parliament was then dissolved to pave the way for GE15 before the Budget could be debated and passed.

On the flood situation, Mohamad said ministry assets through the Armed Forces were always at a state of preparedness.

"We are ready to be deployed should our assistance be needed.

"Tell us where we can help," he added.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Turkiye earthquake: Govt seeks to evacuate 13 stranded Malaysians
Ebit Lew case: Cops seized Firdaus Wong’s phone, court told
Yayasan Sabah has successfully carried out 95% of 17 SMJ initiatives, says Hajiji
Unity govt forms three committees including on state polls to ensure consensus, says Anwar
Prosecution withdraws appeal to forfeit monies allegedly linked to 1MDB funds from nine entities
MMEA foils attempt to smuggle in illegals off Tawau
Deputy Pahang Speaker issued summons for viral traffic offence
Army commando feared drowned in Pulau Undan during diving training
Opportunities abound between Sabah and Japan to collaborate, says Liew
Hassan Marican to head special advisory body to assist Anwar on finance

Others Also Read