Education Ministry to conduct in-depth investigations into allegations of rape jokes by teachers


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 28 Apr 2021

KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): The Education Ministry (MOE) is conducting an in-depth investigation into the allegations of a female student that went viral on social media claiming that her school teacher had made rape jokes during class.

Education Minister Datuk Dr Radzi Jidin (pic) said MOE took the matter seriously and would not tolerate it if the incident really happened.

"This has become a police case, but we are also investigating if it really happened and if there is a case, strict and appropriate action will be taken," he said at a special press conference on the Ujian Pencapaian Sekolah Rendah (UPSR) and Form 3 Assessment (PT3) here Wednesday (April 28).

He was commenting on the issue of a teenage female student who, through TikTok, had alleged that a male teacher made rape jokes in class while discussing the issue of sexual harassment during the physical education and health subject at her school.

Meanwhile on Covid-19 clusters involving the education sector, Radzi said he had asked the Health Ministry to place education clusters related to the MOE's operations separately as currently Covid-19 cases that had been detected in all institutes of higher learning, state government schools, private schools, maahad tahfiz and others were classified under the education cluster.

"This is to enable the community to get a clearer picture on what is really happening in the context of education. If we put all the education clusters under one umbrella, it looks as if everything is related to the schools," he said.

Asked about the status of the donation of laptops under the Smart Fund in Budget 2021 to facilitate the home-based teaching and learning (PdPR) sessions, Radzi said that the donation process has begun and so far more than 13,000 units have been distributed to eligible students.

On the grievances of some parents on why the school holidays had not started earlier, Radzi said MOE would continue to follow the existing school calendar.

"We have more than five million students, 500,000 teachers, who have their own families so it's a big ecosystem - that's why we try to maintain the school calendar and find the best approach," he said.

Earlier, the MOE announced that home-based learning sessions after the Hari Raya Aidilfitri holiday will continue with PdPR for two weeks to replace the face-to-face sessions at school. - Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Immigration rounds up 84 in two raids
Sangkar’s appointment unlikely to change Pakatan’s influence in Sabah, says analyst
Jamal Yunos acquitted of uploading offensive content on FB
Nanogenarian dies, wife suffers injuries in Tangkak house fire
Nur Jazlan: Umno needs to win over young voters
MMEA searching for missing fishermen after boat capsizes near Pulau Redang
Selangor Sultan wants state govt to prepare comprehensive agricultural production plan
Seven Malaysian firms on Forbes Asia's Best Under A Billion list
Sabah Bersatu won't back down on parliamentary seats, says Srikandi chief
Report those who offer illegal dental training, says Health DG

Others Also Read