PETALING JAYA: A 36-year-old businessman has been charged with assaulting a 28-year-old foreign woman at a club in Kuala Lumpur earlier this month, police said, following calls for the investigation to be reopened.
Wangsa Maju OCPD Asst Comm Annas Sulaiman said police referred the case to prosecutors on Aug 11, and the suspect was subsequently charged on Aug 13 under Section 323 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing hurt.
"The accused pleaded not guilty to the charge," he said in a statement on Sunday (Aug 23).
ACP Annas said the police report was lodged on Aug 6, with investigations initially conducted under Sections 323 and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the Penal Code.
On Friday (Aug 21), Kepong MP Lim Lip Eng held a press conference urging Bukit Aman to reopen its investigation of the alleged assault.
The victim claimed she was assaulted after being brought into a VIP room at a club at about 4pm on Aug 4, where two men were present.
She alleged that she was repeatedly punched in the head, left eye and stomach after telling one of the men that she could not understand what he was saying.
She also claimed that a third man was later called into the room and instructed to hand the main aggressor a gun, which was allegedly pointed at her while she was threatened.
She further alleged that she was told to take a bag containing what she suspected were drugs out of the club, but refused out of fear.
She said she was allowed to leave at about 9pm after her friend entered the room and pleaded with the men to release her.
She lodged a police report at the Wangsa Maju police station on Aug 6.
